Skip to main content

Piece #93 - Metamorphosis

When I was younger, I was always curious about the concept of a person going through a 'mid-life crisis'. Many times, I would watch a television show where a married man would cheat on his wife and he would give the excuse that he had sex with another woman because he was going through a mid-life crisis. I was actually a little scared and unnerved about the idea that I might go through one myself when I got older. (Remember folks, I do have Asperger's.) I've actually seen other things adults would do during their 'crisis' like hanging out with much younger adults, doing crazy stunts, or just trying to tap into anything that might make them feel younger like when I see actors who divorce their spouses for a much younger person. I feel like I've hit that point, but not in any of the examples I mentioned.

As I write this, I'm currently 45 years old and I've come to the plateau in my career to which some critical decisions need to be made. A real mid-life crisis isn't about sex or finding your youth again, it's really about a reinvention or as I've titled this piece...a metamorphosis. After World War II, most men and women were able to obtain that 'real' American dream of having a home, a nuclear family (meaning only the biological mother and father), vacations and a job that would last them all the way to retirement. Of course, that idea of the way America is…is over; and the reason for the change is the way businesses have now operated plus the cost of living. These elements of business and living costs have all but, squeezed people out of what they saw from their parents and grandparents. The middle class in general is dying, it was born after WWII, but now those families are finding it harder to stay within that life style today. To me, if you don't improve yourself and your situation then some exterior force will come in and make that decision for you...whether to Meta morph yourself or slide down into oblivion will be your fate.

What this change would mean is if you worked for a company like insurance and you've been doing it for a very long time, there is a point where you will hit a ceiling. Once you've reached that point, you will have to decide whether to stay at that level until you either retire or get fired because you will be more expensive to be kept on the payroll so they'll let you go. The sports world is a great place to look because if an athlete is too expensive or too old then the team will generally cut the player. If you don't want that to happen then you will have to look at other alternatives to stay with the company like becoming a trainer or be a manager. If you don't look a little outside the box then will not move and that's where the company might make the decision for you.

I've come to the fork in the road and I realize I have to change and I have every intention of doing so...soon. I've been a teacher for 19 years and I know I need to elevate myself or disappear into obscurity. Resent events in my life have really motivated me to lift myself up much higher, partially because I'm mad. I feel cheated and wrongly used so I've decided I'm going to do something about it. I'm doing to reinvent myself. This does not mean I'm going to sleep with younger women or do crazy stupid stunts...NO; I'm going to show those people who thought they could bring me down a whole new side of my potential. I have Asperger's Syndrome, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot or a weirdo; I'm much more, much greater than that.

I know the Lord has a plan for me, and maybe this was His way of kicking me in the butt to make this change...all I can say is that, IT'S WORKING!!! I have to be honest and tell you that this bugs the heck out of me, but I can see why this had to be done. Most of us with Asperger's hate change, but I knew I couldn't get around this event. I have to face it straight on and with determination. A metamorphosis will happen in me, even if I'm not really sure I'm ready for it...I will not give up.


Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "We Won't Give Up"

Artist: The Afters

Album: Light Up The Sky  



Here's a lyric video to the selected song:











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier