Skip to main content

Piece #92 - Rebuking

I realize that rebuke tends to be a more biblical term, but it can reach much further than a simple reference in the Bible. I learned an interesting lesson about rebuking, it's not as easy as it seems. Webster's Dictionary defines rebuke as "to speak in an angry and critical way to (someone)" I can see how and why the dictionary defined it as such, but I feel like the dictionary didn't quite get this word properly defined. I would almost say this this definition is meant for 'chastising' than 'rebuking'. I would define rebuking as 'a method of correcting one's decisions in a critical manner.' Anger is involved but, not in the way the definition uses it. 

I can recall on many occasions when I was rebuke quite often from people that are close to me. The big problem with Asperger's is even though a friend or family member might warn me about something that I did wrong; there are times when I'll do it again. Thus, I would be rebuked because I didn't follow the instructions...because I forgot what had happen the first time. This is not an excuse, I really can't always remember certain things, even if I've done it several times before; I know it frustrated my mom, but I don't blame her. I do feel disappointment and irritation, but I understood and moved forward. I never got an apology because they were in the right and I was clearly in the wrong. 

I recently came across a verse in the Bible that talks about rebuking and this is what it said: Proverbs 9:8 "Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you." NIV  I honestly can tell you that I didn't "love" them at first, but at least I understood and tried to be more aware of short-giving’s. I have actually been on the other side of that coin...especially if you're a parent. I will always love my daughters, but there have been times when I have had to rebuke them 'Biblically' for things they did wrong on more than one occasion. My girls didn't like me very much, but they knew I still loved them and they tried not to do it again. Of course, my youngest daughters who both have Asperger's like me; it would take them a little longer to understand like I did when I was younger.

I understand the importance of rebuking, but it's never something I like because I'm not a big fan of conflict. I will stand up when I need to and do what the Lord commands (after all, Jesus rebuked his own disciples with no apology!), but I try to avoid it as much as possible. Rebuking is taking a chance and hoping for a positive change...they will either yell at you or they will humbly accept it and move forward. I've always tried to move ahead because there is no point in wallowing in the past. Besides, with my Asperger's I have this habit of forgetting anyway...sometimes it's a curse and other times it's a blessing...I just haven't figured that part out yet.


Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "Losing"

Artist: Tenth Avenue North

Album: The Struggle



Here's the official video to the selected song: 








Good words to remember...







Popular posts from this blog

Piece #72 - Brant Hansen, the radio voice for Asperger's

This might seem a little unusual for my blog to be talking about a certain person, especially one that I've never met in person, but he still has a special place for me because of how much we have in common...mostly because we both have Asperger's. Brant Hansen is or as of Monday July 7th, 2014 was a DJ for a national syndicated Christian radio station called Air 1. He and I have exchanged messages through Facebook from time to time in pleasant conversations, but we have come to a point that is a little more serious. Brant has never shied away from his disability and if anything he has been a positive voice to anyone who would listen about his Asperger's. As I mentioned though, Air 1 is ready to shut him down. Here is what Brant had to say about his departure from the radio station:

"If you've been a listener to our radio show, please know this: I’m heartbroken over the end of the show. I've counted every day as an honor to be able to have a platform like that.…

Lost Piece #1 - The Gospel Truth

"I know my Jesus, I love Him, and I think if he needed me to believe that homosexuality was a sin, He would have mentioned it. He didn’t. When Jesus said that marriage was between a man and a woman, he was responding to a question about divorce, not sexuality.* And even the Gospels... well, even though they are gospel to me, I accept that they are also interpretations of what Jesus said and did and meant -we don’t have a single written word directly from Jesus. He could have left us something - he could have left another list of rights and wrongs when He came to Earth, but he chose not to." Glennon Doyle Melton - Aug 25, 2013
These words were penned by Ms. Glennon Doyle Melton who is an author and Christian blogger. Back in February of 2017 she announced that she was engaged to Abby Wambach a former Women's Soccer Champion. Glennon had been married to her husband (Craig Melton) for over 14 years before she divorced him due to his extramarital affairs.  Glennon had also o…

Piece #108 - Unemployment

I had the experience of something I hadn't been a part of in nearly twenty years... unemployment. I learned something rather quickly about being unemployed is that this is more of a journey than a simple trip. Trying to make the move from the world of education to the vast universe of basically...everybody else can be rather frustrating and confusing. One of the first things I had to learn was the new jargon, for example: Lead - the person just above the regular worker but, just under the supervisor. In teaching, there is no such thing; I guess the best version I can come up with is either a coordinator or a vice-principal. Production performance - the means of how well of an output one creates within a certain time and/or quality ("quota" is another term used). In education, test scores sadly are used as a barometer for how well a teacher is performing but, there are checks and balances on how well the information is being delivered and received by the students. I reall…