Skip to main content

Broken Piece #1 - 13 Reasons Why

On March 31, 2017; the steaming service known as Netflix released a new mini series called "13 Reasons Why". This has quickly become one the most talked about series throughout the world. The story is based on the book by Jay Asher where the character Clay Jensen who had a high school crush on Hannah who ends up committing suicide. Suddenly two weeks after her death Clay receives a mysterious package on his porch which contains several cassette tapes of Hannah's recordings explaining the 13 reasons why she chose to end her life.

Within the last few days since the show was released it has created a lot of concern in the mental health, education and youth advocacy groups. Groups have demanded that the books be banned from the school libraries including Colorado, which has had seven teenangers ending their own lives:
The show claims they had gotten experts to give their advice on how to illustrate the content to young people and making sure the correct message is sent. Something similar to this happened recently as well with the new Facebook feature called "Facebook Live". This is where people can do a live broadcast through their Facebook account to their friends. What started happening was teenagers decided to do a live broadcast of their own suicide, and thus sparked several copycats doing the same thing.

If this is your first time reading any of my material, I'm sure you're wondering how am I qualified to write on this topic? Let me explain first off  I am not a doctor or anything but I still have credibility. I've been an educator for nearly two decades and I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I have addressed suicide in 3 different blog entries - #14 Bullies, #62 The Elephant in the Room and #86 The Tragedy of Graham Gentles. I welcome you to read those entries because I offer different points of insight into what it is being suicidal. As a teacher, I've had my fair share of having to deal with teenage suicide. I've had friends of students and one of my actual students who have taken their life. As a teacher, we are not just educators, but counselors, caregivers and even parents to our students.  We are trained to deal with these situations, but there never ones we enjoy doing. 

Of course there have been stories that precede this one that deal directly with suicide, we can look all the way back to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet as a play that zeroed in on the topic. As much as our society wants push the subject aside I believe it's important to address the second leading cause of death in teenagers today. I firmly believe exposing the issue to teenagers gets them to critically think about what suicide really means and effect the event would have on all of their loved ones. Any time a teen who is strongly considering ending their life only to decide there is a better way to solve the issue without drastic action is a great victory to the teen and to the ones around them. The idea of a 'fatalist' ending seems to be a predominant idea whenever life gets rather difficult. In the show 13 Reasons Why, the series does graphically show the suicide. I do tend to wonder if the graphic nature is really needed, in some regards I feel like that is a two headed coin. You might want to show the not-so-beauty of a person taking their life, but can we get the same idea without the graphic detail. 

Through this whole controversy the biggest element that must happen is communication. In the story, that line of communication was severely flawed which is a large reason why the teen in the show ultimately took her own life. One big key in being a teacher was the ability to talk to the students and get to know them on a personal level. Friends are really important and talking with them can be a wealth of knowledge. The greatest danger for any friend is not to share what they've learned if their friend is feeling like they really want to end it all; even if the friend is sworn to secrecy, saving their life is far more important than keeping their trust.

The best professional advice I could give is if you really want to see 13 Reasons Why then keep in mind what the story is about and your reasons for watching it. I can honestly say I haven't watched the whole series, I just watched the scenes that might be an issue with young people. I know one of the important things that the producers want when people watch their show is to create an open discussion about the topic of teenage suicide. I guess the only question is - does the end justify the means? Time may only tell on that quandary. Suicide is a serious matter and one that shouldn't be taken lightly. There is help. You are not alone. We only get one life and we should try to live it because as dark as things might seem; there is always a light in the end - just keep holding on and have faith.

THE NATIONAL SUICIDE HOTLINE IS: 1-800-273-8255


Song of Inspiration [Check it out on Android or iTunes!]:

Song: "Rise"

Artist: Danny Gokey

Album: Rise








HERE THE MUSIC VIDEO TO THE SELECTED SONG...SO - RISE!!!!!!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #72 - Brant Hansen, the radio voice for Asperger's

  This might seem a little unusual for my blog to be talking about a certain person, especially one that I've never met in person, but he still has a special place for me because of how much we have in common...mostly because we both have Asperger's. Brant Hansen is or as of Monday July 7 th , 2014 was a DJ for a national syndicated Christian radio station called Air 1. He and I have exchanged messages through Facebook from time to time in pleasant conversations, but we have come to a point that is a little more serious. Brant has never shied away from his disability and if anything he has been a positive voice to anyone who would listen about his Asperger's. As I mentioned though, Air 1 is ready to shut him down. Here is what Brant had to say about his departure from the radio station: "If you've been a listener to our radio show, please know this:  I’m heartbroken over the end of the show.  I've counted every day as an honor to be able to have a platfo