Skip to main content

Piece #79 - The Villain

With All Hallow's Eve around the corner, I thought I'd take a minute to address the evil doers that make the heroes who they are. No, I'm not the bad guy! I'm actually sure why I have had this fascination with the bad guys other than the fact that they make the good guys good. What I found ironic in many stories, the villain tends to have a deeper back story than the hero. I guess in many ways, I always wanted to know what prompted the villain to be so bad. 

I remember when I was younger, G.I. Joe was still big and my brother and I always played with either other with our action figures. The funny part was that we didn't ever argue on who was going to play who because my brother what all the G.I. Joe figures and I had all the Cobra figures. I really loved the characters from Cobra: Firefly, Destro, Copperhead, the twins Tomax and Xamot, Zartan and most people's favorite...Storm Shadow! They even had the coolest vehicles so for me it was a no brainer; though I will say I really like Snake Eyes, but who didn't. Yes, Cobra was bad, but I found them really interesting and cool looking. (By the way, I still have the figures!) For Doctor Who I always liked the Master. When it came to Star Wars (Chapt 4, 5 &6), my favorite were the Imperial Guards. There was something about their red helmets and red robes that made them look awesome. Here's a picture of them:



 In the comic universe, this is where I found the real creativity of a villain because the writers did an excellent job of explaining why the villain was bad. Of course, many times they even would take a hero and turn them bad then make the villain a good guy just to keep things interesting. A really good example is Venom from Spider-man. There's a character that has transcended from the ranks of pure villain to a kind of hero. I guess when it comes to Spider-man villains I would have to say that I like Mysterio the best. If you’re not sure what he looks like he basically has a mystical outfit with a 'fish bowl' on his head, as Spider-man would always describe it. He was a former stunt man who turned bad because he saw his job as a dead-end so he tried acting and failed. Since he was such a good special effects artist, he used his craft for crime. 

There is no villain I admire more than Dr. Victor Fries or as some of you may know him better by the name Mr. Freeze. He was the first real villain I felt the worst for because he never was real villain material. Although he was brilliant, he mostly kept to himself and his work, but he also found himself rather lonely. One day though, he met a beautiful woman by the name Nora and after some courtship time they gone married. Little did Victor know that his new bride was sick. Nora was slowly dying and Victor was desperate to do anything to safe her. It was so happens that Victor was a doctor in cryogenics and he was working on an experimental way to freeze people and still maintain their life. He convinced Nora that he could freeze her until a cure was found for her illness. So the experience went on as planned, but (there are several versions of this) some people come in and disrupt the procedure. There is an explosion of Freon gas everywhere and Victor is caught in the middle of the disaster. As a result, his core body temperature drop significantly and has where a cryo-suit to stay alive. Victor now is running on two motivations, getting revenge and saving his wife so he builds a freeze gun to help him get his revenge and find a cure by any means necessary. I just always found myself rooting for Victor to get the cure and save his wife. If you want to watch an excellent version of his story then you need to watch the 'Batman: the animated series' and title of the story is "Heart of Ice" Here is Mr. Freeze:




You might be thinking that all Asperger people must love the villains! No, that is not true. I know there have been people out there that have done evil things to only find out they were autistic, but that can really shove everyone like me in a box. I remember playing some bad characters on the stage, but never felt like I was a bad person. Ironically, many actors who are known for playing bad guys on film are actually the nicest people you could ever meet. But, I do want to warn you all that there really is a villain in this world and many people elect not to even believe that he really exists, but I can tell you the Satan mostly certainly believes in you! I do believe in free will that we all make choices on our own, but there is nothing that a little motivation from a negative force can't convince someone to do something evil. Remember that villains are not born bad...they are made to do bad things and we need to be aware of what we say and do can have an effect on people. 

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "I Get Wicked"

Artist: Thousand Foot Krutch

Album: The End Is Where We Begin


Here's the lyric video of the selected song:




BRING ON THE VILLAINS!!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier