Skip to main content

Piece #43 - April


If "November" was going to be the title of my autobiography then "April" would be the sequel. If you've been reading the blog for a while, you would understand why I would do this. But, for those who are new here are the reasons. To start, my beautiful wife's birthday is in April. Back on April 13, 1989, I took Jaimee out on a date for her birthday. We first caught an early movie then we went to the Pepper Corn Duck Club (Which sadly isn't there anymore!). The Duck Club was one the best restaurants in Kansas City. (By the way, I did have their duck.) It really was a perfect evening, but that was nothing in comparison to the finale of the night. After we were done with dinner, I took Jaimee to a park near one of the fountains that we have all over the city. (KC is known as the city of fountains...no kidding!) I sat Jaimee on a bench and then I knelt now and asked her to be my wife. The whole proposal thing was really tricky because I wanted it to be a place she'd never forget but, I didn't want it to be cheesy either. I did mention this in an earlier posting that happened to us, but it was also in April when the Oklahoma City Bombing incident had happened too.

Another interesting event that happens all month long is the Awareness of Autism. April was chosen to be the month of Autism Awareness which now as a lot of irony to it. Of course, Jaimee and I had no idea that when we got married and had children the last two would be autistic; or I for that matter! I'm sure as you've read that all of these blogs are committed to giving everyone my perspective on life through my disability. I think it would only be fair for all people to understand what the condition is like; to be honest it can be rather frustrating. I have to admit it's a difficult life. How in the world my wife can still stay married to me in really unknown. Of course, having the twins in the house as well can make things a little crazy around here.

As for holidays, the three that usually show up are April Fools, Earth Day and Easter. Being a teacher, I dread April Fool's Day in a school full of crazy teenagers...do I really need to say anymore? Although, there was one year I had middle school students and they had me twisted into a pretzel that year, so that morning on April 1st I decided to pull the perfect prank and it all started with a tie. I have no idea where I got the tie from, but like it or not I owned a SpongeBob Square Pants tie. So I put on the tie, changed my ring tone to the theme song, got to school extra early to then make lots of photocopies! I hung all around the room pictures of SpongeBob and on the copies it said "Happy SpongeBob Square Pants Day!" Each hour as the classes came in I warmly wished them a Happy SpongeBob Day and I would hand out pictures they could color at their desks and I even thought I might show the SpongeBob movie. I guess the word spread and by the time one of my late classes had entered and sat down, THEY actually sang happy birthday to SpongeBob!!! I couldn't believe it! I had to wait until the last class of the day to tell them April Fool's because I knew the word would get out and ruin everything. Needless to say, the next day a young 7th girl came up to me with a sour look on her face and said to me rather grudgingly, "That wasn't very funny Mr. Wheat." then she walked off. I almost fell down laughing; that was a classic moment. It was so hilarious, but still...I'm not a big fan of April Fool's Day. (By the way, I do still have the tie.)  With me and my Asperger's, Earth Day just sounds silly; I would rank it right up there with Groundhog Day. I understand the meaning, but do we really need a day for that?

And then there's Easter...generally this holiday falls in April and sometimes on my wife's birthday, but there is no other holiday with more personal meaning to me than this one. If it wasn't for this day, there would be no such thing as Christianity. For this religion to happen, Jesus had to rise from the dead! (And No, I don't mean a zombie!) If you've read any of the other postings that I've written, you'll know actually where I stand with the holiday. I think what some people fail to realize is that Jesus is the ONLY person who showed us that there really is a heaven and if you believe in Jesus in your heart then you will join him as well. Remember, no other person in history ever came back from the dead! Easter reminds us of the assurance that there is an afterlife...that there is HOPE, in a world that seems hopeless. It's always nice to be reminded of what Jesus did on that cross. If you ever have any questions, you're always welcome to email me. I may have Asperger's Syndrome, but I'm no dummy...I know the truth, and you can too.


Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "Hold Me Now"

Artist: Red

Album: Release the Panic





This is one of the wild flowers that blooms every April out in our backyard. Hope springs Eternal!




Here's the video from my song of inspiration. This is an outstanding song from RED!

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Piece #1 - The Gospel Truth

"I know my Jesus, I love Him, and I think if he needed me to believe that homosexuality was a sin, He would have mentioned it. He didn’t. When Jesus said that marriage was between a man and a woman, he was responding to a question about divorce, not sexuality.* And even the Gospels... well, even though they are gospel to me, I accept that they are also interpretations of what Jesus said and did and meant -we don’t have a single written word directly from Jesus. He could have left us something - he could have left another list of rights and wrongs when He came to Earth, but he chose not to." Glennon Doyle Melton - Aug 25, 2013
These words were penned by Ms. Glennon Doyle Melton who is an author and Christian blogger. Back in February of 2017 she announced that she was engaged to Abby Wambach a former Women's Soccer Champion. Glennon had been married to her husband (Craig Melton) for over 14 years before she divorced him due to his extramarital affairs.  Glennon had also o…

Broken Piece #1 - 13 Reasons Why

On March 31, 2017; the steaming service known as Netflix released a new mini series called "13 Reasons Why". This has quickly become one the most talked about series throughout the world. The story is based on the book by Jay Asher where the character Clay Jensen who had a high school crush on Hannah who ends up committing suicide. Suddenly two weeks after her death Clay receives a mysterious package on his porch which contains several cassette tapes of Hannah's recordings explaining the 13 reasons why she chose to end her life.
Within the last few days since the show was released it has created a lot of concern in the mental health, education and youth advocacy groups. Groups have demanded that the books be banned from the school libraries including Colorado, which has had seven teenangers ending their own lives: http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/colorado-school-district-pulls-suicide-book-thirteen-reasons-why-1.3415692 The show claims they had gotten experts to give the…

Broken Piece #2 - Susan Boyle

For those of you who are not sure who is Susan Boyle, she was the second place winner to the show "Britain's Got Talent" in 2009. She sang the famous song from LesMis√©rables "I Dreamed the Dream". Since the show, Susan had been making guest appearances on a variety of shows and recorded several albums. Susan's first album alone broke several chart-records and was very well received around the world. I believe why she had such incredible appeal was because she was a perfect representative of all the 'regular people' in the world. She didn't come in flashy or striking but, modest and humble. When a person like Susan is thrown into the whirlwind of concerts, parties, media, and money, it's very difficult to stay grounded and not having your own personal world torn apart. Sadly for Susan Boyle, her tiny universe is crumbling. First, she did have a health scare when she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes that prompted her to lose weight. Second, …