Skip to main content

Piece #44 - Ode to a Baby Bunny


I'm sure the first thought after reading the title is "this isn't one of those weird poem things you'd hear at a coffee place is it?"; I can safely say no to that answer, but there is a deep meaning behind this. On Monday April 15, 2013 I was walking to my car to go home for the day after teaching. I was really tired and as I walked, I wasn't really paying any attention on where I was trending. I was crossing a small grassy area when suddenly I felt an odd thing as I stepped down on my right foot. At once this little baby rabbit screeched out of pain from me stepping on it. It startled me at first, but I kept going and the baby was crying like an irritating car alarm. I turned back to take a quick look, but I did nothing else to help it. I continued to head back to my car and I could still hear the wailing of the rabbit in the distance. I knew that the rabbit was only being instinctive and staying still so predators wouldn't find him was correct, but that backfired in this case. Normally, I wouldn't think much about what happened, however that really wasn't so. The next day I passed by again and sure enough I found the rabbit...dead. My first thought was 'where was the mother?’ then I was surprised that no animal came along to eat it. I mean, I killed lots of animals in my life time, whether it was with my car or maybe fishing. But, again, I really think there is something deeper here.

The first question I asked myself was why would God have me step on the baby rabbit? I mean, I found it odd that I've never seen any rabbits in the area except for the occasional squirrel. Have I lost my heart for others? Did I let my compassion slide? I haven't had an inferiority complex, viewing myself any better than anyone else. I think it was a critical reminder that if you're not careful, the people who you think you're helping, instead you might be hurting. True, I really wasn't watching where I was going, but I didn't expect to find a baby rabbit tucked in the grass. I guess deep down I wish that the rabbit would have simply ran off as I approached it, instead of stepping on it. Sadly, baby rabbits are instinctively trained to freeze and not move if a predator is around. I could make all kinds of excuses, but it really was all my fault.

As for the Asperger's angle, sometimes the right emotions are hard to come by and in this instance, the emotions were misplaced. Visions of my past came back in a flash when I was much younger and I had to take care of my neighbor's cats. I accidentally stepped on one of the kittens and scared me so much that I cried all the way home. I think I was in middle school at the time. When it came to the present, my feelings were a little different as I had already made it to the car. I honestly don't know if I handled the situation correctly or if I should have done something different. So therein lays the issue, did I do the right thing? I know this sounds so trivial, but it's interesting to note my difference in attitude from childhood to now. I can still hear the voice of the rabbit in my head, but I know there's not a single thing I can do about it.

Of course I have to look at this with the idea of 'what lesson did I learn?' so I'm not sure what the answer is. Be careful where I walk? Have a more caring heart? I just know it really bothered me. I think I got the message from the Lord, but I believe there will be more time needed for me to complete the process of understanding it.


Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "Innocent"

Artist: Anberlin

Album: Vital

Here's the video for the selected song:





The area just past the cross street is where the unfortunate event happened. I wanted you to see how weird it was considering how small the area is. The school is off to the right and a walking trail on the left. Further to the left, out of camera shot, are several houses.

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #72 - Brant Hansen, the radio voice for Asperger's

This might seem a little unusual for my blog to be talking about a certain person, especially one that I've never met in person, but he still has a special place for me because of how much we have in common...mostly because we both have Asperger's. Brant Hansen is or as of Monday July 7th, 2014 was a DJ for a national syndicated Christian radio station called Air 1. He and I have exchanged messages through Facebook from time to time in pleasant conversations, but we have come to a point that is a little more serious. Brant has never shied away from his disability and if anything he has been a positive voice to anyone who would listen about his Asperger's. As I mentioned though, Air 1 is ready to shut him down. Here is what Brant had to say about his departure from the radio station:

"If you've been a listener to our radio show, please know this: I’m heartbroken over the end of the show. I've counted every day as an honor to be able to have a platform like that.…

Lost Piece #1 - The Gospel Truth

"I know my Jesus, I love Him, and I think if he needed me to believe that homosexuality was a sin, He would have mentioned it. He didn’t. When Jesus said that marriage was between a man and a woman, he was responding to a question about divorce, not sexuality.* And even the Gospels... well, even though they are gospel to me, I accept that they are also interpretations of what Jesus said and did and meant -we don’t have a single written word directly from Jesus. He could have left us something - he could have left another list of rights and wrongs when He came to Earth, but he chose not to." Glennon Doyle Melton - Aug 25, 2013
These words were penned by Ms. Glennon Doyle Melton who is an author and Christian blogger. Back in February of 2017 she announced that she was engaged to Abby Wambach a former Women's Soccer Champion. Glennon had been married to her husband (Craig Melton) for over 14 years before she divorced him due to his extramarital affairs.  Glennon had also o…

Piece #108 - Unemployment

I had the experience of something I hadn't been a part of in nearly twenty years... unemployment. I learned something rather quickly about being unemployed is that this is more of a journey than a simple trip. Trying to make the move from the world of education to the vast universe of basically...everybody else can be rather frustrating and confusing. One of the first things I had to learn was the new jargon, for example: Lead - the person just above the regular worker but, just under the supervisor. In teaching, there is no such thing; I guess the best version I can come up with is either a coordinator or a vice-principal. Production performance - the means of how well of an output one creates within a certain time and/or quality ("quota" is another term used). In education, test scores sadly are used as a barometer for how well a teacher is performing but, there are checks and balances on how well the information is being delivered and received by the students. I reall…