Skip to main content

Piece #67 - The Smartest Man in the Room

I love the line "The smartest man in the room." because whenever I have to join a group of people (whether a Sunday school class, a teacher's meeting, a simple gathering of friends and/or family) I never like to lead on that I really am a very bright person. Please don't misunderstand; I'm not thumping my chest and claiming myself as king. I'm just simply saying that I know I'm no dummy. One of the things I try to avoid is being wrong. If I ever am incorrect I'm usually honest enough to admit it, but I think I've had to learn over time to be careful in what I say so I can get my facts straight first. I definitely hearken back to my youth when I had the bad habit of opening my mouth too fast and when I was wrong in my response, that's when it gave other kids the chance to poke fun at me. You have to understand that other kids were like the lions and I was the antelope, if I stepped forward and make a fool of myself without the other lions having to do anything then that made it even better for them, like open season, to circle in a pounce.

Through those experiences I started to learn the art of listening...That's my secret. (Remember Piece #15?) Whenever I'm shoved into any group, I try not to be the first person to speak up, unless I have to lead the instruction, I simply try to listen to what everyone has to say before I even give a whisper to my own thoughts. The problem was I wanted to speak up immediately just to show everyone that I wasn't the village idiot, but a lot of self-discipline had to be developed to where I wasn't piping up as fast as I used too. You really need to listen to the logic that the person is trying to get across. The only weakness I have is that I will get distracted and I might miss a part of the statement that was being made so if I had to rebuttal, I might be coming in with only part of the information. If this is the case, I will tend to agree with whatever might be said until I can make out what I might have missed and what the overall point was in the first place.

I guess the best way to show how you might be the "smartest man in the room" would be the one who doesn't need to say a lot. If the point can be made with no chance for a legitimate argument then your status as the smartest person would be cemented. Being able to say a lot with few words really shows a much higher level of thinking. This would be a case of not giving anything away. I guess that's what bothers me about nonfiction novels, there is so much 'fluff' written inside the pages of the book, they could have said all their points within much few pages...it just drives me nuts! Just remember, knowing that you are...and showing that you are...can be two different things. If you feel like you have to show it then you're falling into the trap of "okay, if you think you're so smart, what would you do?" then suddenly you are thrown into the lion's den. Knowing that you are...is simply a secret that you keep where if you need to use it then being discrete is always the smoothest way from having to avoid any chest thumping and still look like a genius.

Again, I have Asperger's and I've had to deal with all kinds of teasing and bullying in my lifetime, but never did I truly believe I was an idiot. I just now know how to handle a group situation without looking like the person who either 'knows it all' or 'the moron'. If you have Asperger's just remember that you are no dummy. You have been blessed with a special gift and you learn how to use it. So..."Who is the smartest man in the room?” it could be you, if you just believe in yourself. I know the Lord does.

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "The Mastermind is Me"

Artist: I Am Empire

Album: Anchors


Here is the music from my selection. This really isn't much of a video, this is mostly for the music.




Here's a good point!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier