Skip to main content

Piece #101 - Sheba

Way back in my posting #26 Raining Cats and Dogs, I spoke about all the animals we had in the house and how the animals were therapy for the twins. Since they have Asperger's, psychologists feel that people with our condition would be helped if we had an animal for therapeutic reasons. I'm not the biggest fan of animals because I'm usually the one who has to clean up after their messes. I'm not sure how therapeutic that would be for me cleaning after pee or poop 'accidents'. However, this event is one that really deserved a special posting all by itself. If you were able to read the 26th posting, you would know who Sheba was. I'm very sad to report that on September 25th, 2015, Jaimee and I had to make the grueling decision to put Sheba down. Sheba was 16 years old.

As an owner, you know these moments are going to come yet you never seemed to be prepared for that time when you have to put the animal to sleep. Jaimee and I have had to put down other animals before but, this was a little different. We got Sheba when she was still a kitten and lived with us the entire time. This cat was rather fascinating because no dog or little children that we ever had in the house intimidated her (like my granddaughter Sophia). The only thing that would spook Sheba was the vacuum cleaner! This was the only animal in the house that knew if she heard the can opener then that usually meant snack time, in the way of tuna anyway and shockingly the only animal to come when you called her name. Whenever Sarah was home, Sheba would generally sleep with her; even when Sarah moved downstairs, Sheba would follow.

I know I've mentioned this before but, there were many nights when I took a shower Sheba generally wanted to be in the bathroom with me. There would be a time or two when she poked her head in to see if I was still in there, but usually she would lay on the towel right next to the tube until I got out. I remember a few times when Sheba would go into the bathroom only to find that it was my wife in the shower and not me so she would promptly leave the bathroom only to discover that I was in the study watching the whole amusing event unfold. Most times when my wife was out of town, Sheba would literally sleep on Jaimee's side of the bed...the whole night! Whenever Jaimee came home, Sheba had a very difficult time relinquishing her side of the bed. Many times Jaimee would get the cold death stare from the cat. (I've honestly had never seen a death stare from a cat...unless you’re a tiger!) Before her death, she would many times wait in the kitchen for me whenever I made breakfast because once I was finished; she knew actually where I would go...the study. There, she would hop on Jaimee's chair which was next to mine and wait for her portion of my scrambled eggs. Once she had her food, she satisfactorily left and would lay inside the clothes basket in the hall. 

Probably the biggest scare we ever had with that cat was one morning I had gone downstairs to restart the dryer before I would leave for work. I went back upstairs to finish getting ready. A few minutes later, I came back down the stairs only to hear an odd noise coming from the basement. When I came to the dryer, I heard this loud thumping noise, so I immediately opened the door only to find Sheba had been in the dryer! Sheba was panting like a dog and I knew that wasn't a good thing. Jaimee called the vet and they told us to take her to the animal hospital. The doctor told us that we were very lucky she was still alive. Jaimee and I monitored Sheba to make sure she was going to be okay, the only thing Sheba permanently got was a white streak of hair that ran down on the front of her ear. Needless to say, that really scared us and how amazing it was that Sheba lived through the ordeal.

One thing is for sure; Sheba gave us some amazing memories and will sorely be missed. Sheba was the only animal who came the closest to catching a squirrel; it made the dogs rather jealous. I really did love that cat. It's going to be very difficult because she was a big part in my life and my daughters. It's kind of funny to think that a cat could do this to a person because I always figured dogs would be more difficult to deal with, but a cat? Sheba will always be one of those special animals you experience every so often. Good bye Bathsheba, you always have a special place in my heart for the rest of my life.


Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "The Hurt & The Healer"

Artist: MercyMe

Album: The Hurt & The Healer



Here is a picture of Sheba in one of her favorite places to sleep...on our clean clothes!





Here's the official music video to the selected song:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #72 - Brant Hansen, the radio voice for Asperger's

  This might seem a little unusual for my blog to be talking about a certain person, especially one that I've never met in person, but he still has a special place for me because of how much we have in common...mostly because we both have Asperger's. Brant Hansen is or as of Monday July 7 th , 2014 was a DJ for a national syndicated Christian radio station called Air 1. He and I have exchanged messages through Facebook from time to time in pleasant conversations, but we have come to a point that is a little more serious. Brant has never shied away from his disability and if anything he has been a positive voice to anyone who would listen about his Asperger's. As I mentioned though, Air 1 is ready to shut him down. Here is what Brant had to say about his departure from the radio station: "If you've been a listener to our radio show, please know this:  I’m heartbroken over the end of the show.  I've counted every day as an honor to be able to have a platfo