Skip to main content

Piece #91 - Popeye the Sailor Man

I have discussed my favorite superheroes in a previous entry, but the character Popeye took on a whole different meaning in my life. I had always thought I was a little different ever since I was a child, but trying to relate to characters off of what I had watched on television was rather difficult. The characters were either funny and silly or strong and brave, but there really wasn't a character that seemed to take on a more 'humanized' form and still capture the oddities of what I was like as a kid. All of that changed for me when I got exposed to "Popeye the Sailor Man" on T.V. because my newspaper didn't run Popeye in the comics so this was the first time I was introduced to his universe.

For the first time, I got to see a character that did look stranger than the other characters on the show. Many times Popeye was not always 'included' within the circles that Popeye called his "friends". Popeye seemed to have a hard time communicating with others because of his speech issues and he did a lot of talking under his breath, but it seemed like most of his friends and foes never caught what he was saying. I find the oddest thing about Popeye is that even though his 'friends' tend to ostracize him. Oddly, if there is trouble with any of them it was always Popeye that came to the rescue; and of course spinach was his secret weapon to help to give him the strength and save their lives. I find it rather funny that media would tease about kids hating spinach. I'm not sure what the real numbers are, but I do know that through some research on the Popeye historical website that spinach sales skyrocketed when Popeye became a house-hold name during the Great Depression.

I image the question is 'why are you talking about Popeye?' Obviously most of my blogs deal directly with my struggles with Asperger's Syndrome and I hope you can start seeing the connection here. Like people with Asperger's, they are misunderstood - verbal and nonverbal - they tend to be pushed away by their 'friends' unless they are needed. Asperger people want to help others, but are not always sure how. Asperger people tend to talk to themselves out-loud and can be under a lot of ridicule because they are not like 'everyone else'. I could really identify with Popeye...he even has been committed to one girl, Olive Oyl and I always admired his feelings for her even if she didn't always reciprocated the affection back to him. One of the things I really loved about Popeye was that he always wanted to defend the kids that were bullied.

I have to admit that not only do I love spinach, but I actually liked the live-action film starring Robin Williams. I remember my grandma taking me to go see the movie in theaters! I know that sounds a little corny, but it was a special time for me and my grandma. I really did see a lot of Popeye in myself even though I didn't understand what I had at the time. I still enjoy Popeye today, but I think the animators have lost a little of Popeye's true persona as the years have passed by. I can say that I will always have great memories of a weird looking character with bulging forearms, a squinty eye, his tooting pipe and a can of spinach.

"I am what I am, and that's all that I am!"  - Popeye

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "I'm Popeye, The Sailor Man"

Artist: William Costello

Album: Vintage Novelty Songs


Here's one of the first Popeye episodes being voiced by William Costello:









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier