Skip to main content

Piece #85 - Breaking News

Even though the news has been always the same, the method of which it is delivered has changed a great deal just within the last decade. I remember my oldest daughter being a person who didn't want to miss anything! And I mean a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g! Christmas, Birthdays you name it, she knew it...parties, presents everything. So in a small way, I really empathize with her like catching the news because I feel like if I don't then I might have missed something important. I realize there is a lot of negative feels when it comes to the news, but one usually should expect the 'bad' news.

After word of mouth, we decided to put our news to print and for a very long time that is how we got our information. Then the radio came along and the news suddenly came a little faster than a standard newspaper because families would huddle around the radio for news or even entertainment. Movies came along soon after the radio where people could see news clips, but the one invention that really took the news a giant leap forward was television. For the rest of the era, television was the first to give us sight to all the news stories that were happening at that very moment. I'm sure we all can think on events that we witnessed live on television. Whether the event was positive or negative, we were there to watch it. In the last few years, many newspaper and magazine companies had to close their doors for good; party because of television, but the newest contender was the internet.

When the internet came into play that changed everything we knew about the age of information. My oldest daughter now only gets her news from the internet. She has an App that she uses to get her information. Sadly, I'm finding myself using the internet more because I don't have to wait for those certain times when the television might come on. Although, if a live event is happening, I would still turn on the television so I can see the news breaking for myself. Most times I might need a newspaper is if there is an exclusive story that only the paper may have or getting more details about a news story because television only has so much time so they generally try to sum up the information in the shortest way possible.

I'm sure you're already guessing where the Asperger's comes in to this topic. I can tell you that my oldest daughter does not have Asperger's, but those of us who do tend to want to know certain things. Since a lot of us have OCD, we generally like to check on any type of news that may concern them; for example, I love sports so I try to get the sports news as much as I can even though it doesn't really make a huge difference in the impact of my life. The one type of news that I try to never forget is the weather. There have been way too many times when watching the weather came in very handy. In some cases, watching the weather saved my life and my family because they would give information on severe thunderstorms so I could prepare for possible danger. Ironically, my wife hates to watch the news. She sees it as depressing, violent and terrifying. In so ways I would agree, but I see the news as an important part of my life so I can stay informed. I do get my news from the internet, but I do like watching the newscast. I guess I just like being 'talked' to when it comes to getting my information. By the way, I do have acquaintances that are in the news business, but that doesn't really chance my opinion of them.


Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "I've Been Everywhere"

Artist: Johnny Cash

Album: The Legend of Johnny Cash  



Since the news travels fast, Johnny Cash did his best to be..everywhere, here's the video for the selected song:











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier