Skip to main content

Piece #65 - A Fashion NIGHTMARE!

Here's an area of where I'm not sure most of the misunderstanding falls, because of my Asperger's or because I'm just a guy. I'm not really big on fashion, even in movies premiers or runaways; although I did like fashion movies like "The Devil Wears Prada" and "Zoolander". Dr. Temple Grandin wears cowgirl outfits and she looks great! When I was younger, I always thought I had a fashion sense, but I think I might have been sorely wrong. I always thought I was so well dressed that many of the other kids in school were just jealous; or so I thought. I did have second thoughts when all the girls just wanted to "be my friend" so I wasn't sure if it was the clothes or the person. As the art major that I was, I wanted to make sure I dressed for the part - especially in college. I mean, I was the president of the art club and I felt like I had to dress like I was the president...of course, later that next year I met a young beautiful woman who had a whole different opinion of my wardrobe, because let's face it...most of my clothes looked like I could have been Sheldon's twin brother from "the Big Bang Theory"!

When Jaimee came on to the scene, I think my mother was the happiest because she had been trying for years to get me to try new and better clothing, but I wouldn't have any of that! Jaimee pretty much raided my drawers and cleaned through my outfits. With my Asperger's, this did bother me a great deal, but I did learn to appreciate the effort she put in and with the new look; it made me feel better. In a small way, I let her do this because I loved her very much and I wanted to make her happy by making me look better (or handsome in this case). Jaimee was nice enough to let me keep a few things that meant something personal to me, but everything else had to go! For the dating year of 1989, a change in wardrobe was a grueling time, but I think it was something that had to be done.

Honestly, this has been a battle that Jaimee and I have had with the twins as well. Christen hasn't been as bad because she likes to get new clothes and loves to go shopping with Jaimee; Sarah, however, is completely different. Her wardrobe is extremely limited because there are a only few outfits she can feel comfortable in. The texture can be a deal breaker for Sarah and even the color. Green is both her and mine favorite color, but Sarah would rather wear mostly green outfits if she could. She is trying to open up a little more too different styles and colors. I think this has to do with her maturity and knowing that college is coming soon. I'm proud of both the girls for opening up to the fashion sense that Jaimee has and her skills to make them look good. I know she has worked hard on them.

Currently, my fashion has hit a few new issues, my age, body shape and finances. As a teacher, I'm required wear slacks, a nice shirt like a polo or button shirt and comfortable shoes. (Fridays, we get to wear jeans!) I pretty much stick close to the dress code, but I will admit that I tend to wear the same shirts and pants from week to week and you can guess what ends up happening...they wear out! Sadly, I don't always pay close attention to the condition of my clothes; that's where Jaimee steps in again. Clothes’ shopping has never been an event I've looked forward too. Jaimee tends to drag me into the stores to find replacement clothes for all the other clothes that sport the ones with holes in them. I know she just wants me to look good and not some complete dork, of course with my Asperger's, I really don't care what anyone thinks anyway...except my wife. I do try to look handsome for her because she's worth it.

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "More Beautiful You"

Artist: Jonny Diaz

Album: More Beautiful You



I know this is more about female looks and fashion, but I believe the general message is still the same. Enjoy the video to my song of inspiration.





And here is the Sheldon Cooper fashion trend that was a lot like mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier