Skip to main content

Piece #40 - Night Owls


For once, I really don't think this has to do with my disability, but as I've gotten older I've noticed I've become more of a night owl. I do remember growing up at first being an early bird, especially on Saturdays because I wouldn't dare miss my morning cartoons. When I became a teenager, things started to change in my sleeping habits. I found myself staying up later and when Jaimee and I first got together then we REALLY stayed up late! (That sounds kind of naughty.) As an adult, I've really had to be more of an early bird because of college and later teaching. I will admit that in my college life, there were days when I did stay up late to write term papers, but other than that I tried to get to bed at a good time.

I have often thought to myself why I do this? The only thing I can think of is routine...again. It seems if I get started late then it takes more time for me to go to bed. I just can't simply go to bed; I have to do all the little quirky things before I can call it a night. Now mind you that it would help if I took my nightly medication a little sooner as well, but it starts with the routine. I'll notice that if I have to do something later than normal, say going to the grocery store or take care of some task, it can set me back an hour or two on getting to bed at a decent time. I will sadly admit that there are times when I would drink a Starbucks or a Coke a little later than I should; that would jeopardize my bed time ritual as well. The only other thing I can think of are naps. I have to be really careful with naps because if I take too long of one then I'm doomed for the rest of the night!

This might sound little nuts, but the other factor that is involved here has a name and that name is Jaimee. She is just as much of a night owl as I am. I think if she would make it a point to go to bed earlier, then I might have found myself going to bed early as well. There has been a time when Jaimee was fighting insomnia and losing the battle. I knew I had to go to bed for work so Jaimee just couldn't go to sleep with me at the same time. As I've watched Jaimee, she doesn't really seem to have a full blown routine like I have when it comes to getting ready for bed. So I can't go off of her example or establish a bedtime ritual based on her motivations and decisions.

I realize the lack of sleep is not very good for my health and there are times like the summer that can make it even harder because we're out for three months. During that time, I can remember my sleep ritual would be from 2 am to 11 am; and that was on a regular bases! As I get older, I really need to work on getting into a better routine of sleep, but effectively following through is another story!

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes/Android!]:

Song: "Evil Never Sleeps"

Artist: Above Only

Album: Self-Titled

(By the way, I've finally joined the Smart Phone Allegiance...that's why I'll include Android now.)

 
Here's Jaimee and Lukas having a sleepy time...well, at least Jaimee is.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier