Skip to main content

Piece #16 - Trust

"In God We Trust." Or so it says on all of our currency, but what does that mean to you and me? As an adult with Asperger's, trust is one thing I try to open myself up for a little more, but it sometimes comes back to get me in the end. With my view on trust, it seems like I have two extremes; I either put my full faith into someone or something, or not at all. I generally don't tend to be an "all or nothing" person, but with trust, that seems to be the case.

I'll never forget as a father and looking at my daughters when they were babies; I'd often think to myself how much they trust and depend on me. If they didn't trust me as their dad, they might be dead now because they are completely vulnerable, being so young. One time I remember when Megan and I were going into a fast food restaurant and we were going in between some cars. We were about ready to cross through the drive-thru when I spotted an on-coming car. Megan was too little to see over the parked car and she didn't know the on-coming car was driving up. I told her to immediately stop and she did. She trusted me enough to know there was real danger. Every night when I go to bed, I trust that my wife wouldn't try to kill me in the middle of the night, (Though I'm sure the thought flashed in her mind hundreds times!) and she trust me that I'm not going to harm her. Unfortunately, there are thousands of woman who can't say that about their boyfriend/husband. Trust needs to be earned not assumed.

In many ways, trust and faith go hand in hand. When you put your faith in something, like God for example; you have determined that when you die, you trust that God will be there for you. How do you know that? Read your Bible and pray to the Lord. I will tell you that I have complete and utter faith in Jesus and the Bible. For others they put their faith in Muhammad (The Qur'an), Joseph Smith (The Book of Mormon), Charles Russell (Watch Tower - Jehovah's Witness), L. Ron Hubbard (Dianetics - Scientology), or any other person and/or faith. That's the decision that they made, that is what they put their trust and faith in. With that in mind, in any faith you have, feel free to challenge it! Like my wife has done in challenging me on whether or not she can trust me, challenge what you believe to be is true! I dare you to challenge your faith and see if really holds water or not. Trust should not be blind, open your opens eyes and look. View our world on the outside and your inside. What do you see? Can you really trust in what you believe? Do you really have faith in what you believe? Only you can answer the question.

For me with autism, this is definitely a work in progress. I really do want to trust people and believe they are telling me the truth, but even for myself; that is tough to do.



Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes!]:

Song: "Call My Name"

Artist: Third Day

Album: Revelation




This is Sarah at Science City. She's riding a counter-weight bicycle that is suspended up above the main floor. I can tell you this took a lot of trust in science and the engineers!

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #72 - Brant Hansen, the radio voice for Asperger's

This might seem a little unusual for my blog to be talking about a certain person, especially one that I've never met in person, but he still has a special place for me because of how much we have in common...mostly because we both have Asperger's. Brant Hansen is or as of Monday July 7th, 2014 was a DJ for a national syndicated Christian radio station called Air 1. He and I have exchanged messages through Facebook from time to time in pleasant conversations, but we have come to a point that is a little more serious. Brant has never shied away from his disability and if anything he has been a positive voice to anyone who would listen about his Asperger's. As I mentioned though, Air 1 is ready to shut him down. Here is what Brant had to say about his departure from the radio station:

"If you've been a listener to our radio show, please know this: I’m heartbroken over the end of the show. I've counted every day as an honor to be able to have a platform like that.…

Lost Piece #1 - The Gospel Truth

"I know my Jesus, I love Him, and I think if he needed me to believe that homosexuality was a sin, He would have mentioned it. He didn’t. When Jesus said that marriage was between a man and a woman, he was responding to a question about divorce, not sexuality.* And even the Gospels... well, even though they are gospel to me, I accept that they are also interpretations of what Jesus said and did and meant -we don’t have a single written word directly from Jesus. He could have left us something - he could have left another list of rights and wrongs when He came to Earth, but he chose not to." Glennon Doyle Melton - Aug 25, 2013
These words were penned by Ms. Glennon Doyle Melton who is an author and Christian blogger. Back in February of 2017 she announced that she was engaged to Abby Wambach a former Women's Soccer Champion. Glennon had been married to her husband (Craig Melton) for over 14 years before she divorced him due to his extramarital affairs.  Glennon had also o…

Piece #108 - Unemployment

I had the experience of something I hadn't been a part of in nearly twenty years... unemployment. I learned something rather quickly about being unemployed is that this is more of a journey than a simple trip. Trying to make the move from the world of education to the vast universe of basically...everybody else can be rather frustrating and confusing. One of the first things I had to learn was the new jargon, for example: Lead - the person just above the regular worker but, just under the supervisor. In teaching, there is no such thing; I guess the best version I can come up with is either a coordinator or a vice-principal. Production performance - the means of how well of an output one creates within a certain time and/or quality ("quota" is another term used). In education, test scores sadly are used as a barometer for how well a teacher is performing but, there are checks and balances on how well the information is being delivered and received by the students. I reall…