Skip to main content

Piece #16 - Trust

"In God We Trust." Or so it says on all of our currency, but what does that mean to you and me? As an adult with Asperger's, trust is one thing I try to open myself up for a little more, but it sometimes comes back to get me in the end. With my view on trust, it seems like I have two extremes; I either put my full faith into someone or something, or not at all. I generally don't tend to be an "all or nothing" person, but with trust, that seems to be the case.

I'll never forget as a father and looking at my daughters when they were babies; I'd often think to myself how much they trust and depend on me. If they didn't trust me as their dad, they might be dead now because they are completely vulnerable, being so young. One time I remember when Megan and I were going into a fast food restaurant and we were going in between some cars. We were about ready to cross through the drive-thru when I spotted an on-coming car. Megan was too little to see over the parked car and she didn't know the on-coming car was driving up. I told her to immediately stop and she did. She trusted me enough to know there was real danger. Every night when I go to bed, I trust that my wife wouldn't try to kill me in the middle of the night, (Though I'm sure the thought flashed in her mind hundreds times!) and she trust me that I'm not going to harm her. Unfortunately, there are thousands of woman who can't say that about their boyfriend/husband. Trust needs to be earned not assumed.

In many ways, trust and faith go hand in hand. When you put your faith in something, like God for example; you have determined that when you die, you trust that God will be there for you. How do you know that? Read your Bible and pray to the Lord. I will tell you that I have complete and utter faith in Jesus and the Bible. For others they put their faith in Muhammad (The Qur'an), Joseph Smith (The Book of Mormon), Charles Russell (Watch Tower - Jehovah's Witness), L. Ron Hubbard (Dianetics - Scientology), or any other person and/or faith. That's the decision that they made, that is what they put their trust and faith in. With that in mind, in any faith you have, feel free to challenge it! Like my wife has done in challenging me on whether or not she can trust me, challenge what you believe to be is true! I dare you to challenge your faith and see if really holds water or not. Trust should not be blind, open your opens eyes and look. View our world on the outside and your inside. What do you see? Can you really trust in what you believe? Do you really have faith in what you believe? Only you can answer the question.

For me with autism, this is definitely a work in progress. I really do want to trust people and believe they are telling me the truth, but even for myself; that is tough to do.



Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes!]:

Song: "Call My Name"

Artist: Third Day

Album: Revelation




This is Sarah at Science City. She's riding a counter-weight bicycle that is suspended up above the main floor. I can tell you this took a lot of trust in science and the engineers!

Comments

  1. Sorry about getting this out so late. It's been difficult with the teaching and going to college.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier