Skip to main content

Piece #14 - Bullies


If there was anyone that can smell out something odd about you...it would be a bully. They all had this uncanny knack of being able to zero in on anyone that might be a little off from the rest of the pack. ThePostGame.com had this to say about bullies: "Experts say that more than 150,000 children miss school every day because they are afraid of being bullied. More than half of all schoolchildren have witnessed a bullying incident and three of every four students say bullying is a problem at their school." I'm a teacher and even that surprised me! I knew it has aways been an issue, but I think this is the first time experts have actually studied this problem. The report did go on to say:


"The bulk of bullying occurs from the fourth through the eighth grades, although it can continue through high school and even in the workplace. Bullying is intimidation or domination toward someone perceived as weaker, a way to establish superiority through coercion or force. The emotional scars are often worse than the physical beatings, and victims of bullying often become depressed and do poorly in school. Bullying can even lead to suicide." 

I think the suicide is the saddest thing of all because I do remember hearing reports of kids taking their own life over bullies. (Even Cyber-Bullies!) I had my share of bullies from elementary school through middle school. It did tail off in high school (Thankfully.), but it was a very difficult time. I was even bullied in Boy Scouts! I'm sure your next thought is will I name names? No. There's no point because in reality, a bully has a lot of insecurities so to curb that, they try to pick on someone else to make them 'feel' better about themselves...even though, in reality, it's a false since of comfort and satisfaction. Now, as a teacher, I try my hardest to stop the bullying in school, but I can't be everywhere and it's not always easy to catch. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell when kids are just playing around or serious harm is being done. Even when I ask them if they are feeling harassed, many of them will lie to cover it up; mostly in fear because if they 'squeal' then the bullying could get worse. I remember doing that a few times just to cover it up.

As a teacher and a parent let me say this to you...with or without being autistic, you don't have to put up with it! Schools are getting tougher on bullies. Parents won't put up with it either. Fear is what drives a bully so they live off your terror. I'll never forget a time in middle school when a bully wanted to show how 'tough' he was so he tried to fight me in the boy's locker room. He hit several times in my sides and I kept my arms in to protect myself but, I never hit back. I was scared, however, I noticed that he never really hurt me. My younger brother did a better job of hurting me than he did! I think from there on, I was really never afraid of him again. Just remember you have to stand your ground and don't give up. One thing I always had comfort in was God. I knew He was always there for me, no matter what I was going through. In many ways, I believe He was proud of me on how I handled bullies. I can only pray that if you are going through this very thing, just remember it never lasts and there are people around you that can help...if you give them a chance. Try it.

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes!]:

Song: "Unbreakable"

Artist: Fireflight

Album: Unbreakable









To all the people that are bullied, here's the music video from Fireflight. I personally want to thank you, Fireflight, for such an inspiring song to help those who think there is no help for them. No copyright infringement indented.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #72 - Brant Hansen, the radio voice for Asperger's

  This might seem a little unusual for my blog to be talking about a certain person, especially one that I've never met in person, but he still has a special place for me because of how much we have in common...mostly because we both have Asperger's. Brant Hansen is or as of Monday July 7 th , 2014 was a DJ for a national syndicated Christian radio station called Air 1. He and I have exchanged messages through Facebook from time to time in pleasant conversations, but we have come to a point that is a little more serious. Brant has never shied away from his disability and if anything he has been a positive voice to anyone who would listen about his Asperger's. As I mentioned though, Air 1 is ready to shut him down. Here is what Brant had to say about his departure from the radio station: "If you've been a listener to our radio show, please know this:  I’m heartbroken over the end of the show.  I've counted every day as an honor to be able to have a platfo