Skip to main content

Piece #94 - A Piece of Sports History

As you may know, I am a bit of a history buff and two things happened in sports very recently that hasn't been seen for a few decades and others a full century. I'm not too crazy on horse racing, but I couldn't help to be captivated by the three major horse races that happen every year since they started back in 1875: The Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes. If a horse can win all three races then they accomplish a rare feat of winning the Triple Crown. Since I do have Asperger's, number and odd facts are things I can really get into because of the logic that is involved. The last winner was a horse named 'Affirmed' back in 1978. There have only been 12 horses that have ever won all three races and that twelfth horse was American Pharoah. I realize that I misspelled "Pharoah" because when the name for the horse was turned in, the name was misspelled and it stuck.

In 1978, I was only about nine-years-old when the last horse won all three races. To me, this was a rare sight to behold; there are just those very few events that anyone gets the chance to see live. I know there have been other records that have stood the test of time well before I was born. Baseball, for example, is another sport that has been around as long as professional horse racing. I got to witness Cal Ripken break a record that never seemed like one that could be broken. Cal played in more baseball games, consecutively, than any other player. Cal broke Lou Gehrig's record of 2,130 games played in a row without missing one game...ever. {I will not address the Home Run record because there is too much controversy over those statistics.} This year, we had a young man by the name of Patrick Venditte of the Oakland Athletics who could pitch a ball with BOTH of his hands...yep, a switch-handed pitcher! The last person to do this was Greg A. Harris and he was able to do this back in 1995. Before Greg Harris, the only other person to pull the feat was Tony Mullane of the Detroit Wolverines in 1881! So seeing a switch-handed pitcher is a rare event.

I realize that some of this stuff really isn't that interesting, but you have to admit that when certain things happen that hasn't been seen for decades, then I think its a pretty big deal. Having the Asperger's, I really love facts and interesting things that we usually don't think about. I have a pull calendar from the History Channel that tells me certain events that happened on each day. I can guarantee that the Triple Crown race winner this year will be in future pages of their calendar. I guess to me, this is one of those 'getting to witness history' sort of thing. In 1985, I got the very rare chance to be at game 7 of the World Series when the Kansas City Royals beat the St. Louis Cardinals for their first championship. So when special things like this happen, I can't help but to stop and watch to see if history is made. Think about the Olympics or the World Cup; those two sporting events only happen once every four years! Wouldn't you think those events are special? Historical? 

{Well, I guess I can add the Golden State Warriors of the NBA winning the championship...the last time they won was 40 years ago!!!}


Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "Home Run"

Artist: Geoff Moore and The Distance

Album: Home Run!


Here’s the video lyrics to the selected song:













      Here is your Triple Crown winner...American Pharoah!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #72 - Brant Hansen, the radio voice for Asperger's

  This might seem a little unusual for my blog to be talking about a certain person, especially one that I've never met in person, but he still has a special place for me because of how much we have in common...mostly because we both have Asperger's. Brant Hansen is or as of Monday July 7 th , 2014 was a DJ for a national syndicated Christian radio station called Air 1. He and I have exchanged messages through Facebook from time to time in pleasant conversations, but we have come to a point that is a little more serious. Brant has never shied away from his disability and if anything he has been a positive voice to anyone who would listen about his Asperger's. As I mentioned though, Air 1 is ready to shut him down. Here is what Brant had to say about his departure from the radio station: "If you've been a listener to our radio show, please know this:  I’m heartbroken over the end of the show.  I've counted every day as an honor to be able to have a platfo