Skip to main content

Piece #80 - Happy Birthday?

If you've read any of my previous posts then you know that November 6th is my birthday. It is a little ironic that I write this on my birthday. The reason I'm writing this is because as an adult with Asperger's, birthdays used to be very special to me, not just the fact it reminded me how old I was, but I guess I liked it because it was all about me. In some small way, I saw my birthday as a more special time than Christmas when I was young. For some crazy reason, I can still remember a moment when I had turned 7, I was climbing a tree in the front yard and just thinking that it was my birthday and I knew what was going to happen. I do remember a few times when I was little older, getting to go to Showbiz Pizza Place (it's now known as Chuck E. Cheese) and boy did I have a blast! Lots of arcade games, games that you could win tickets to get free stuff and they had an animatronic show with all the mechanical animals singing like the ones you see at theme parks. As for the pizza, I guess it was okay, it really didn't matter to me. I can't remember which birthday it was, but probably my most favorite cake when I was younger was a Batman cake with plastic bats surrounding the cake and on top was a Batman figure who was ready to leap over a fence I believe. I just thought that was the coldest cake I had ever seen.

It's kind of funny that I really can't remember a lot of the gifts I had received over the years because I tend to get them confused with Christmas and Easter presents. I was always excited about the gifts because that was the biggest reward about having a birthday. Don't get me wrong, I did like having grandparents there or best friends to celebrate with, but hands down the presents were what I would tend to fixate on. (Love that OCD!) Of course, as I have gotten older, a lot of that has changed.

I know that most people still tend to really whoop it up when it's their birthday, but those are the kind of people who are big partiers. There is nothing wrong with older people like myself to go celebrate, but that's just not me because I just feel uncomfortable in those situations. There is a little part of me that is happy that it's my birthday, but it is nowhere near like it used to be. In a tiny way, I actually miss those times, not the fact that I was a lot younger, but the great times I had as a kid. I am a little disappointed that I can't remember all of my birthdays having autism, but I do remember some of them and pictures help with my bad memory. I know my wife would always like to do something special, but generally we would do too much...maybe dinner and/or a movie. Jaimee really does want to really celebrate, but when it comes to her birthday...not so much. I will say that one of my proudest times with Jaimee's birthday was that I actually through her a surprise party with all of our friends when we still lived in southern Missouri. Jaimee had turned 30 that year and I wanted to make it really special. I learned a valuable lesson from that experience...surprise parties are very hard to arrange!!!

In my perspective about birthdays is that you only get to be that age one time, for a year and then it's over. I really try to make each year mean something positive and reflect on what I might have done right and what I might have screwed up on. It is a passage of time that we never get back and do want to make the most of it. I would try to see the positive, but there have been too many times when I look back in frustration because something may not have turned out like I had hoped it would or I really missed an opportunity that I will never get again. I can truly say that my birthday has changed a great deal to me, but I still try to have a little fun.

{Election Day will fall on my birthday and we've elected several presidents on that day like Lincoln, Eisenhower and Obama. Daylight Savings Time has ended on my birthday. If today is your birthday too then we share it with Sally Fields, Rebecca Romijn, Emma Stone, Maria Shriver, Ethan Hawke, etc.}

Song of Inspiration (Check it out on iTunes or Android!):

Song: "Heart Attack"

Artist: Manafest

Album: Fighter

I simply picked this song because I love it and it is my birthday!!! It is an awesome song and here's the video...or a least a few pics with the song...sorry.




Sorry, I had to have Deadpool!


Popular posts from this blog

Lost Piece #1 - The Gospel Truth

"I know my Jesus, I love Him, and I think if he needed me to believe that homosexuality was a sin, He would have mentioned it. He didn’t. When Jesus said that marriage was between a man and a woman, he was responding to a question about divorce, not sexuality.* And even the Gospels... well, even though they are gospel to me, I accept that they are also interpretations of what Jesus said and did and meant -we don’t have a single written word directly from Jesus. He could have left us something - he could have left another list of rights and wrongs when He came to Earth, but he chose not to." Glennon Doyle Melton - Aug 25, 2013
These words were penned by Ms. Glennon Doyle Melton who is an author and Christian blogger. Back in February of 2017 she announced that she was engaged to Abby Wambach a former Women's Soccer Champion. Glennon had been married to her husband (Craig Melton) for over 14 years before she divorced him due to his extramarital affairs.  Glennon had also o…

Broken Piece #1 - 13 Reasons Why

On March 31, 2017; the steaming service known as Netflix released a new mini series called "13 Reasons Why". This has quickly become one the most talked about series throughout the world. The story is based on the book by Jay Asher where the character Clay Jensen who had a high school crush on Hannah who ends up committing suicide. Suddenly two weeks after her death Clay receives a mysterious package on his porch which contains several cassette tapes of Hannah's recordings explaining the 13 reasons why she chose to end her life.
Within the last few days since the show was released it has created a lot of concern in the mental health, education and youth advocacy groups. Groups have demanded that the books be banned from the school libraries including Colorado, which has had seven teenangers ending their own lives: http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/colorado-school-district-pulls-suicide-book-thirteen-reasons-why-1.3415692 The show claims they had gotten experts to give the…

Broken Piece #2 - Susan Boyle

For those of you who are not sure who is Susan Boyle, she was the second place winner to the show "Britain's Got Talent" in 2009. She sang the famous song from LesMis√©rables "I Dreamed the Dream". Since the show, Susan had been making guest appearances on a variety of shows and recorded several albums. Susan's first album alone broke several chart-records and was very well received around the world. I believe why she had such incredible appeal was because she was a perfect representative of all the 'regular people' in the world. She didn't come in flashy or striking but, modest and humble. When a person like Susan is thrown into the whirlwind of concerts, parties, media, and money, it's very difficult to stay grounded and not having your own personal world torn apart. Sadly for Susan Boyle, her tiny universe is crumbling. First, she did have a health scare when she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes that prompted her to lose weight. Second, …