Skip to main content

Piece #71 - A Weight Watcher

If I were to go back in time and tell myself something that would really shock me (other than being married), I would have to say that it is my significant weight gain over the years. When I was growing up I was often teased about me being really skinny. When I first met my future wife, I weighed 135 pounds and my height was 5'10". I was actually a little depressed that I wasn't a little taller and a little bigger. I was never a weakling because I worked out all the time and was very active; I just never showed it. I tried to pack on muscle thinking that would make me look bigger, but it didn't work. I was probably fortunate that I didn't know about those GNC muscles shakes.  I think I'd be a lot heavier now if I had started on those things! Nonetheless, I still felt like a 90 pound weakling and nothing was going to chance that.

One trait that I always attracted me to women was their height. I liked women who were taller because I wanted them to be roughly the same height as me. I was never really concerned about their weight because if they loved me for me, then weight was never an issue. Thankfully, Jaimee was a little taller than me, but that didn't bother me, ironically, she was the same weight as I was too. I still remained active with sports and other things so I still really wasn't packing on the pounds, but little did I know that something was going to drastically going to change...my age.

This goes out to all you 'kids' who are in your 20's or 30's I have news for you...when you hit your 40's all bets are off. As I got older, I started learning the hard way that what I eat doesn't always get burned off as fast as it use too. When I started teaching I found myself not being as active as I use to be. I was chasing around toddlers early on in my fatherhood, they started to grow to a point where I wasn't needing to chase them any more so I found myself getting work done, but not working out. Before I knew it, I was looking down and I was having a harder time being able to look at my feet. I past a plateau recently and that was I had now weighted in at over 200 pounds. I never thought in a million years that I would ever hit that weight. It's kind of funny because I'm not fat all over, mostly in my stomach. I look like I should give birth at any time. I still have my skinny legs and my skinny arms, but my chin and stomach have significantly expanded over the years. This weight gain was not what I had in mind when I was younger; I had to do something about it.

I know that having this large belly is a death sentence. I really want to either lower it or get rid of it all together. There is a large part of me that would love to have plastic surgery, but I have no idea if that would make a difference let alone being able to afford it! I'm trying to figure out why I'm still increasing in weight. I can tell you that having the stress in the work place can be a huge factor, and I think that is what has happened to me. My diet didn't chance and usually I lose weight during the school year because I'm constantly running up and down three flights of stairs every day. This year (2014) has been unusual because I didn't lose the weight. Right now I'm trying to eat a little less and exercise more. I have a feeling that it's going to be an uphill battle. To be honest, it really bothers me and tends to motivate me to fix my problem. If you're having a hard time losing weight, I completely understand. It's not easy to do, but most of all you have to remain disciplined and dedicated to getting the weight off....good luck!

{UPDATE - I'm leaving what I wrote in tacked, but I think I know part of my problem. I was given a medicine called Mirtazapine a few months ago and I found out recently that a side effect is...weight gain! Needless to say, I will not be taking this medicine and we'll see if this makes a difference.}

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "Forget And Not Slow Down"

Artist: Relient K

Album: Forget And Not Slow Down


                Here a video to the lyrics of the selected song!







First, this is NOT me...but it could be!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier