Skip to main content

Piece #61 - I am Second

If you’re thinking of the organization then you are correct! I have to admit that I have found this organization rather fascinating. This is a statement that comes from their website:

"I am Second is a movement meant to inspire people of all kinds to live for God and for others. Actors. Athletes. Musicians. Business leaders. Drug addicts. Your next-door neighbor. People like you. The authentic stories on iamsecond.com provide insight into dealing with typical struggles of everyday living. These are stories that give hope to the lonely and the hurting, help from destructive lifestyles, and inspiration to the unfulfilled. You’ll discover people who've tried to go it alone and have failed. Find the hope, peace, and fulfillment they found. Be Second."

I'm not a member of this organization, but when they first started having celebrities like football quarterback Kurt Warner and others on huge billboards so I was rather curious about who they were. I know that there was a lot of controversy about Phil Robertson for some comments he made and he's one of the people who campaigns for the I am Second organization, but that made little difference to me. I think overall, it has to be the message they're trying to convey; because we do go through a lot of struggles in our lives and many times we think we're alone. The stories are rather interesting and compelling if you ever get a chance to listen to them. There are several people like Albert Pujols, Brian Welch, Anne Rice, Darrell Waltrip, Kathy Ireland, Tony Dungy, Sam Bradford, Stephen Baldwin and tons more talking about a variety of topics that could easily be any one of us.

What I personally like the most is the name...I am Second. I think for many people, they might not understand the importance of those three words. Most of the time, people think being second is a bad thing...almost like you almost won, but you came in second. This goes much further than that misguided notion. I imagine then you might wonder who the heck is first? If you've read my blog long enough, then you might already know the answer. For me, it's Jesus; because having Autism, there are times when I might feel alone. Just knowing that my Lord is first in my life and I get to be second is a comforting feeling. I want to be second, I don't want this to be about me first. If you've read the blog about "Failure", to me it was a tough pill to swallow because I felt like I had been fighting all my life growing up to suddenly put on the brakes and say 'it's okay to be number two' is a concept at was foreign to me. In our society, you are nothing if not number one. No one really remembers number two unless it was you.

I could easily say that my Asperger's give me a handicap, but I feel more like I should fight even harder to go beyond the disability. I believe we need to challenge ourselves, to strive for the greater good of all human beings on this Earth because God created every one of us and he even sent us an example. We will never surpass Him, but at least we can give it our best shot...even if we come in second.

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "I Am Second"

Artist: Newsboys

Album: God's Not Dead



Here's the music video with the Lyrics to the song!






Can you answer the question?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #72 - Brant Hansen, the radio voice for Asperger's

  This might seem a little unusual for my blog to be talking about a certain person, especially one that I've never met in person, but he still has a special place for me because of how much we have in common...mostly because we both have Asperger's. Brant Hansen is or as of Monday July 7 th , 2014 was a DJ for a national syndicated Christian radio station called Air 1. He and I have exchanged messages through Facebook from time to time in pleasant conversations, but we have come to a point that is a little more serious. Brant has never shied away from his disability and if anything he has been a positive voice to anyone who would listen about his Asperger's. As I mentioned though, Air 1 is ready to shut him down. Here is what Brant had to say about his departure from the radio station: "If you've been a listener to our radio show, please know this:  I’m heartbroken over the end of the show.  I've counted every day as an honor to be able to have a platfo