Skip to main content

Piece #55 - Asperger Movies and Television


I know I will be writing a different posting on movies in general later on, but my goal here is to talk about autism in the media and how Asperger's is used in movies and television. I have seen several movies and television shows that directly address autism in their performances, but I honestly haven't seen them all. I think the best way to tackle this is by addressing the movies first and then finishing out with television. I think Hollywood is trying to do the right thing, but like most media in Hollywood...they don't always get it right. (I think in some way they are a little out of touch with reality.)

 By far the best film I've seen is "Mary and Max" because it is based on a true story. It was done in Claymation, but the content is excellent. It's the story of two people who strike up an exchange of letters between them. Mary is from Australia and Max is from New York City. Mary first simply inquires about what it's like in America and Max with his Asperger's tries to describe it the only way he knows how...through his eyes. Eventually, Mary starts to understand Max's condition and tries to help get a better grasp on him personally more than simply knowing about America; it comes to a point where Mary ends up coming to America to wanting to meet Max.
 

I did see the movie "Adam" and I came into the movie with high hopes of a great story with a great message like "Mary and Max", but I was actually disappointed. At first the relationship between Adam and a female neighbor who is a teacher seems to make an interesting connection until everything goes south. I think the thing that bothered me the most was the acting from the person who played Adam. His personality seemed inconsistent because at first he would show the 'real' Asperger persona, but in other cases he seemed to come across as simply 'mentally challenge' and I mean REALLY challenged! And the ending seemed rather weak and the writer didn't know how to 'end' the story. There have been much better performances than what I saw in this movie.



On television, there have been several shows that in some form or another address Asperger's. I don't believe there too many reoccurring roles in the shows. A few I can think of would be from the "Big Bang Theory", "Monk", and actually any Sherlock Holmes material. My daughters really enjoy the "Big Bang Theory". Of course I don't know all of them or the movies for that matter, but these are ones I have personally seen and I think the television shows have done an excellent job in depicting the aspie roles.

"Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" is a great movie from what I've heard from my wife, but I haven't seen much of the movie myself. She thought they did a great job of portraying the boy in the 9-11 movie with Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock. Tom's character was able to talk to his son with his Asperger's, but Sandra's character had a more difficult time dealing with her son after a death in the family.




There is one more movie I would like to tip my hat to and I wanted to save it for last...and that is "Temple Grandin" staring Claire Danes. I have seen this movie and I have to say it really set the bar really high! Of course, it's the true story of Dr. Temple Grandin and how she was growing up and dealing with this unknown disorder that no one knew for a long time. It shows how she was able to pick up on how animal were thinking and reacting to situations that no one else was able to do. She observed several animals, but most of them were cattle. From that experience, she was able to go on to college and get her doctorate in animal science. Dr. Grandin teaches at Colorado State University and tours around the United Stated talking about everything from animal science to Asperger's Syndrome.

There is another reason why I bring up this movie and why I like it so much...because my daughters and I got to meet her personally at a convention hosted by Future Horizons. Dr. Grandin specially asked to see my twin daughters so we weren't going to turn that down!!! Technically we had 5 minutes to speak with her, but it turned into 20 minutes! She had some very good things to say to the girls. Mainly she told them to keep moving forward and try to excel at what they like to do. She told me to keep holding on the teaching position that I currently have because she said that aspies like us have a horrible time holding on to jobs. It's always interesting to be in the middle of several people with Asperger's having a discussion because I felt a little like a referee. I would have to add bits of detail for Temple whenever the twins told her anything. Overall, it was great hearing her talk to the girls about several different things. She did have a message to all the educators out there; she said that students are not engaging themselves. The rise in video games have hurt the momentum of any child that should be going out and making something of themselves rather than gluing themselves to the Xbox. She basically encouraged my daughters to keep moving forward and not giving up. It really was amazing how insightful and ambitious as she was to the girls.

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "Be Somebody"

Artist: Thousand Foot Krutch

Album: The End Is Where We Begin




This is a special look at the HBO movie "Temple Grandin". I would encourage to see the film.

 
 
This is music video (Lyrics) the song "Be Somebody"
 




Here is Temple Grandin with Christen and Sarah. I felt fortunate that we had this special chance to meet her one on one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #72 - Brant Hansen, the radio voice for Asperger's

  This might seem a little unusual for my blog to be talking about a certain person, especially one that I've never met in person, but he still has a special place for me because of how much we have in common...mostly because we both have Asperger's. Brant Hansen is or as of Monday July 7 th , 2014 was a DJ for a national syndicated Christian radio station called Air 1. He and I have exchanged messages through Facebook from time to time in pleasant conversations, but we have come to a point that is a little more serious. Brant has never shied away from his disability and if anything he has been a positive voice to anyone who would listen about his Asperger's. As I mentioned though, Air 1 is ready to shut him down. Here is what Brant had to say about his departure from the radio station: "If you've been a listener to our radio show, please know this:  I’m heartbroken over the end of the show.  I've counted every day as an honor to be able to have a platfo