Skip to main content

Piece #32 - Who am I?


"You are what you eat." Does this statement define who you are? A few might say so, but I think it goes a lot deeper than that. I've been writing these blogs for a while now and I would assume one would label me as having Autism, so I guess you could call me Autistic. However, you also know me as a father, a husband, a son, a brother, an uncle, and not too far off...granddad. So...what am I? A Christian? A teacher? A writer? A heterosexual? A lover? A fighter?

It seems like we've gotten into this habit of labeling everything. Even some of these labels have turned into fads. Anyone still remember the 'Hippies'? It's frustrating when society takes a way of life for some people and blows it up into fad. Makes me wonder if they'll try to turn autism into a fad! It's a just cause, I mean, I didn't get this from a vaccination needle or from a mere choice, but I was born with it. Now that I think about it, I guess deep down me having the label of autistic gives me the chance to be something not everyone can be; for better or worse, having some attention is good for me; I think. Looking at autism, is it a good thing or bad thing? In school, I was teased, but I didn't know why I was different...good or bad? I had a hard time hooking up with girls…good or bad? I know being autistic is not a sin, but I imagine back in the day some people might have seen it as a punishment from God in light of some unknown act against the Lord. (Which is silly, if you think about it.) So let’s not get confused, there is a big difference between what I was born with versus a choice that is made that would be sinful in nature. That's simply a decision one makes whether God likes it or not. I didn't make this choice; it's just what I have. If I wanted too, the government could have me labeled as...handicap. (No kidding, seriously.) I could fill out a form and have that label. That is not something I'd be proud of, and I doubt any other person that is handicap would be delighted to have it too. It's just something we are, but it's not all we are and I believe people forget that sometimes; they just can't get passed it.

As I've mentioned in the past, my twin daughters also have Asperger’s Syndrome, so what are they? As far as Jaimee and I are concerned they are Christen and Sarah, our daughters. When they go to school, friends, teachers, and others might see them in different ways, but they know who they are; there is no question. I sadly do know of others who don't know who they are. They think they know, but some people encourage them to say otherwise. I believe we all have to take a hard look in the mirror just to remind ourselves of what we look like and what we are...human beings that were given a soul and a mind to make decisions and to process information; to think is this right or wrong...do I rule it or does it rule me. I may have autism, but autism doesn't have me. Since I'm aware of my Asperger’s, I know how to deal with it. I am Christopher Wheat. A Human Being on the planet Earth, a child of God...with Asperger's.

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes!]:

Song: "Proof of Your Love"

Artist: for King and Country

Album: Crave

Here's the video for the song I've recommended. I pray every day that this would be...me.

(Let my life be the proof.)

 
 
 
 
 
 
WHO AM I?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier