Skip to main content

Piece #26 - Raining Cats and Dogs


For all the animal lovers out there, I'm sure you were wondering if I'd ever get to the subject. It might have taken me 20 some odd pieces to do it, but I'm finally here. If you were to ask me straight on about the pets, I would tell you that they are a pain in the butt! I will claim that NONE of the pets we own are mine. The sad part is that I'm the main one who is taking care of them. Jaimee and I are trying to put more responsibility on the twins with their dogs, but I find myself still doing some of the work...i.e. cat puke! When it comes to me and pets - it really is a love/hate relationship. Mind you that in the over two decades we’ve been married, we’ve had rats, rabbits, Guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, turtles, dogs, cats, fish and even mice as pets!

I need to give you the run down on the pets. We have (currently) 3 dogs, 2 cats and a turtle. Jaimee has her Chihuahua/Dachshund mix [Ruthie]; Christen has her Pug [Nami] and the psycho cat [Evie]. Sarah has her dog (not sure on the breed) Annie and the Calico - Sheba. The girls will tell you that actually, Sheba is my cat, but it's more like I'm her human. {Honestly, she doesn't really like Jaimee too much only because she's the competition...I'm not kidding.} She will sit in the bathroom with me when I take a shower. When Jaimee leaves for a day or two, Sheba will lay on the bed with me at night...Creepy!

The main reason for the twin's animals is the pet therapy. Since they both have Asperger's, there are several written studies about the positive effect on autistic children with animals. Feel free to do a Google search on it; I know you'll find a whole host of different studies and programs based on the animal therapy. I think my wife would admit that I might need some animal therapy! (You know I can hear you laughing...)

When Jaimee and I first started out as a couple, we had one cat. His name was Oscar and he was a white Persian cat. The only reason why we gave him up was because Jaimee got pregnant with Alicia. I think when all the girls leave the roost and all the dogs, cats and turtle are gone; we'll probably go back to a white Persian cat again...at least I hope so. (Sigh) The worst part about all this animal craziness is I'm still getting older and trying to take care of them is getting harder. Oh, by the way, it doesn't help when my oldest daughter has a dog of HER own...a Rottweiler named Sookie. She's sweet, but a real hand full!

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes!]:

Song: "Therapy"

Artist: Relient K

Album: Forget and Not Slow Down





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #72 - Brant Hansen, the radio voice for Asperger's

  This might seem a little unusual for my blog to be talking about a certain person, especially one that I've never met in person, but he still has a special place for me because of how much we have in common...mostly because we both have Asperger's. Brant Hansen is or as of Monday July 7 th , 2014 was a DJ for a national syndicated Christian radio station called Air 1. He and I have exchanged messages through Facebook from time to time in pleasant conversations, but we have come to a point that is a little more serious. Brant has never shied away from his disability and if anything he has been a positive voice to anyone who would listen about his Asperger's. As I mentioned though, Air 1 is ready to shut him down. Here is what Brant had to say about his departure from the radio station: "If you've been a listener to our radio show, please know this:  I’m heartbroken over the end of the show.  I've counted every day as an honor to be able to have a platfo