Skip to main content

Piece #24 - SUPERHEROES


If you have been an avid reader of this blog you should not be surprised that this would be one of my pieces. I'm sure your next question would be why did it take this long? For 2012 this is the year of the Avengers and I can say this is a dream come true. I've loved superheroes as long as I've been on this planet. Growing up in the 70's and 80's how could you not be? With the 70's we had the Super friends, the Superman movies, Wonder Woman, the Spider-Man TV series (live action); I even remember watching Shazam! The cool part was I remember riding my bike down to the 7-11 and they had all kinds of superhero things, from cups to cards, stickers and of course...comic books. When I was 7, I actually wrote and drew my own comic book called Thunderbolt. I did start a second book, but I never finished it.

The 80's continued with the superhero parade with more Superman movies (though it started getting dumb), the Incredible Hulk TV series, the Tick and the crowning jewel...Tim Burton's Batman. I would admit that I had wondered why Marvel had not put out a movie with any of their characters yet; thankfully, I didn't have to wait long. From there, it seemed like a space race except for comic books because when Spider-Man finally came out in theaters it was game-on from there! (My priorities did change a little when I met Jaimee in '89).


Writing and drawing comic books was a long standing dream of mine. Strangely, as time went by my writing got better, but the artwork still needed a lot of help. I'm not a bad artist; I'm just not at the level of the comic artists today. Actually, it's only been the last few years that I have finally tried to write in a novelized form rather than in a comic book format. I still desperately want to publish any story, but I'm at a point where I need time to do it. With my Asperger's, I don't know if there is some security with superheroes being a staple in my psyche or just a pure fascination, but they have had a great deal of influence in my life. If you read and watch Piece #9 on O.C.D. you can see when things are off, I have a tendency to go overboard on items that deal with superheroes so I have to be careful what I buy. I can say that I really do enjoy them!


With all this talk of fantasy, I can realistically tell you that my REAL hero is Jesus, again if you've read the previous blogs this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. No one in our world history has ever died and been brought back to life three days later. Trust me, I enjoy super heroes and their stories, but I know what is real and what is fiction.

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes!]:


Song: “Hero”

Artist: Skillet

Album: Awake


This is the cover of the comic book I drew when I was 7 years old. Remember...7!



Here's the YouTube video that we shot for this Piece. This has my nephews Kaden and Logan Wheat. Enjoy!


Comments

  1. My vote for favorite hero is the Toxic Avenger

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a great choice! They had his creator on a television show called "Hollywood Treasures". He showed of some of the props from the movies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier