Skip to main content

Piece #20 - STRESS!

S-T-R-E-S-S, this I believe is something that keeps building and getting worse every single year. In some cases, this is a beneficial thing because I don't think I could've finished any college paper or something for work without it. There are many times when I wished I did things a little sooner than the 'last minute'. My bad habit though seems to get the best of me because without the stress of getting something done on time, it may never happen. I try to put self-imposed deadlines for all my work and there are times when it works, but not all the time.

A recent article talked about stress in the work place, it talks about how you look at your own approach to the job and how you should adapt to the changes that take place. The problem with this idea is that change is very difficult for me with my Asperger’s. It goes on to suggest that I "gain control" and "get physical" which all sound great, but I'm in a job (teaching) were control is a  constant struggle, especially where there is little support. I want to get more physical, but time always seems to be my enemy. I used to play all kinds of sports, but now those days seem to be long gone. I have to admit that when I visit San Diego, I get to be out a lot, but here in Kansas City it's more difficult to get out with the constant change in weather. They had some nice ideas, but I would have to change occupations for any of this to happen. (And of course, not have Asperger’s!)

More times than not, I'm usually having to turn to the only thing that seems to help suppress my stress level...medication. It seems like ever since I've been on a special medication that allows me to be more aware of my surrounding; I've had to find ways to keep myself calm through the difficult times in my life. The highest point has to be from work, but not only there alone. Sometimes, a new situation might happen at home and I'm not prepared for it so I'm having to take a magic pill to get me through it. (Sometimes, that doesn't always work.) The overall issue with stress and Asperger’s is what it can do to the mind. Unfortunately, the stress can take a person with autism down a deep dark road that no one should ever go, but that is big problem; and worse, it can stay in the head for a long time. (I'll probably speak on this in more detail later because it deserves its own piece in this blog.) Needless to say, it's a constant battle and there are no winners.  It seems like the best advice I can give on something really helpful is to give it over to God. I know it may sound simple, but you'll find it's a little harder than it seems. So for anyone who is autistic...don't give up. Our mind will tend to make it out worse than it really is.

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes!]:

Song: "Again"

Artist: Flyleaf

Album: Memento Mori


Here's a video that my wife shot when we were at the Topeka Zoo. I put this in for a little laugh to help deal with the stress!


(You can also check this out on YouTube!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier