Skip to main content

Piece #76 - Head of the House

I realize in today's family, the roles are changing rather drastically. I can think of another time when roles in the family were shaken up since World War 2. Life today seems more like unwed mothers giving birth to fatherless children and if they are married the couple only has about a 50-50 shot of staying married. I realize this doesn't seem to make sense, but that's the reality of the world we live in. Traditionally, in any house, the father was the person who was always considered the 'head of the household', but that role has deteriorated through the years.

How did this whole idea start? Not surprising we can look to the Bible for the answer. As I mentioned back in a previous blog about Leadership, the book dictates that the male is the head of the household and will be personally judged on the spirituality of the members of the family. So we as the males have a heavy responsibility on the welfare of everyone in the family. Sadly, this task for the male of the house has dwindled down because they don't want to take responsibility any more. As fathers are staying away from the home and marriage is trying to get redefined, the Bible's laws are quickly fading from our society.

In all reality, the decisions that my wife and I make generally are ones that are made together. If you are married, there needs to be an equal opportunity between the husband and wife because if one makes all the decisions without the others input then the marriage is in jeopardy. Yes, I am the head of my house and I do have a final say on matters that can be critical if needed, but I leave several decision to Jaimee for lots of reasons. The key factor is my Asperger's, if Jaimee wasn't here with me I would be lost because I will forget all kinds of stuff and Jaimee has been my saving grace to catch all the stuff I miss. The biggest are the bills and other needs in the house and needs for the family that I always miss. Jaimee will have to remind me of obligations that I need to accomplish.

To be honest, there are lots of days when I really don't feel like being the head of the house. I've known that the girls will look to me for many decisions or errands that have to be run because they always liked to go with me. My tiredness isn't a sign of laziness, but just exhaustion. As much I as I don't relish the role of head of household, I know I still have to do the job because the members of my family do depend on me. I've always had dreams and aspirations to do lots of things like drawing, acting or writing; but I had to put those things aside to focus on my family. Sadly, many people who seek fame and have a family will almost destroy their own families for their own glory. Fame and family have to be balanced very well to make sure one doesn't over take the other. Jobs can come and go; and the limelight might dim, but your family should be the greatest accomplishment you have ever had. If you are the head of the house, then you are going to have to understand just how critical your role is...making your family proud.

Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "All In"

Artist: Lifehouse

Album: Smoke and Mirrors


Here's the video for the selected song:















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #111 - First Impressions

"You already know that making a good first impression can go a long way. But forget all the advice you've received about dressing to impress or putting on a cheesy smile. Turns out, the true secret to building a lasting connection reaches much deeper than what you wear." "According to Amy Cuddy, a Harvard Business School professor who has researched first impressions for more than 15 years, everyone (consciously or subconsciously) asks two questions when they meeting someone new: Can I trust this person? And can I respect this person?" This quote comes from Reader's Digest and I actually found this rather compelling because I never really heard of this before. I've addressed this topic of first impressions in the past but, I have to admit that this idea is interesting. I guess since you hear a lot of things from a smile, the outfit or what you say make the difference; however these two questions have me a little perplexed. I think it depends on the ...

Piece #1 - The Beginning

I guess like embarking on any puzzle, it must always starts with the first piece. So to begin, I have Asperger's Syndrome, in other words I'm Autistic, and so this literature will be about my struggles with this disorder as an adult. I was first diagnosed back in the summer of 2004. If it wasn't for my twin daughters, I might not have ever known all the questions I have ever had in life; to them, I will always be in their debt. Growing up, you are never really aware of any differences until the judgment years...6th thru 12th grade of school. A time when one always tests their own humanity against others; meaning, how will I measure up against other students.   In my eyes I seemed to be just like them; two arms and legs, ten fingers and toes, head and body...nothing unusual. Yet, for some reason, I was treated a little different than everyone else. That's one of those things that you can't quite put your finger on, but I observed on many occasions how kids would talk...

Piece #35 - Christmas!

I intentionally waited until December to write this particular blog. Unlike many stores who seem to think that Christmas starts in August , I actually was patience enough to write this within the month. Of course, if you ask the question 'What is your most favorite time of the year?’ some will say summer, but many would say Christmas . I wanted to write this early because Christmas is one of those holidays that are a full season, not just one day. I think this is the one time when I enjoy the days leading up to Christmas more than the actual day itself. It's amazing how things change so quickly, from the decorations, lights, trees and all the other Christmas displays that spring up faster that lightning! There is no other holiday that has this effect on our society as much as this one. With my Asperger’s, Christmas can be a little difficult because the traditions that I did as a child are not the same as an adult. Worse than that, my tradition is constantly changin...