Skip to main content

Piece #107 - "Sharp Dressed Man"

I wanted to start this post by inferring that the title does not mean men alone. Since I have daughters as well, I will be addressing both sides of the human gender. [The title comes from a ZZ Tops song.] One of the main things that Jaimee and I are trying to instill in one of our twin daughters is having a sense of cleanliness. I always hear that a woman loves a 'bad boy', but I seriously thought they would love a 'stinky, smelly boy'. There is a really good reason why the saying 'Cleanliness is next to Godliness' is rather important, if there is any guy or gal out there who is still looking for that special someone then you might serious think about what I'm trying to say. Being 'Sharp Dressed' can really impress someone special and say a lot about you as a potential mate.

One thing I've actually had to learn recently is to be well dressed for an interview. Having to go a job interview isn't something I've had to do for a long time so I had to re-learn a few tricks to make myself more professional and appealing...yes - I said 'appealing'. I'm not trying to get a date with the interviewer, I'm trying to look like a person who would 'look good' in their business. For those of us who have Asperger's, I realize certain tactical clothing can be an issue. Dr. Temple Grandin only wears that cowboy button up shirts; for her, they feel the best on her skin. I will admit that I even have certain clothing that will bother me a little, but I try to find something close to the best sensation. The best example I can give is socks. I hate dress socks; it feels like I'm putting on patty hose! I've tried to find socks that are made more like sport socks, but I haven't had a lot of luck. I used to enjoy wearing neck ties, but lately I've had a hard time with buttoning to top button of my dress shirt. I feel like I'm choking to death! I've been looking for shirts with a wider top since my neck has...grown a little. The best advice I got before I had to put together my 'dress up' outfit; that was to always start with your dress shoes and match up the rest of the outfit with the shoe color.

What I going to say next may sound silly and juvenile, but I have learned being a teacher that we assume children already know how to be 'clean' and 'clean looking'...but, that in not the case. Before you put on any article of clothing there are a few things that will need to be addressed. A shower or bath; this is something that needs to happen on a regular basis. Shaving, I leave to your digression because I shave my face every other night, but that depends on the look you're going for. Brushing the teeth every day and putting on deodorant - you would be surprised at how many people don't do this! Because of my Asperger's, this is a route for me and rather helpful so I don't forget to do everything to make myself presentable. If you are married like me or have a partner in your life, there is no reason to stop keeping yourself clean and neat.

Anyone who says they have Asperger's and does not keep themselves clean because of the disorder is full of nonsense. I know that one of my twin daughters prides herself on cleanliness and I'm not too fond of dirt myself. I don't even like my finger nails growing long! I realize there can be other psychological factors that can come into play when it comes to proper hygiene. If you look at the people who are hoarders, the lack on cleanliness is blatantly obvious. This doesn't mean that hoarders all have Asperger's, but OCD has to be at least a part of the psychological issue. I have a real hard time watching those television shows that deal with this condition because I get frustrated listening to their illogical reason s to try to keep all of the junk. I believe trying to keep yourself clean gives you a better feeling about yourself, almost like a reset button. Sometimes you just have to 'wash' away the grind on the day and feel refreshed.


Song of Inspiration [Check it out on Android or iTunes!]:

Song: "Sharp Dressed Man"

Artist: ZZ Top

Album: Eliminator 







I'm going Back to the Future for this song and the video! (1983):











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier