Skip to main content

Piece #57 - Privacy


Here is a department I have a difficult time with. As you have read before, timing was never one of my best talents. I remember on many occasions when I would go use the restroom only to discover that one of my young daughters had been using it first and in their adolescent voice they would simply tell me "privacy, privacy". Early on they were well aware of the idea behind having time alone to do things without others. Sadly, my daughters didn't quite always understand privacy of other people...like mom and dad. (Know what I mean?) I've tried to give my daughters their space from my first one to the last ones; it's been a struggle because trust was an issue I had with most of them...especially when they got older. It's kind of funny because there were some children I could trust over others and in many ways that did disappoint me.

Is this a really big deal? Well to some it is, but I tend to be short sighted, meaning I tend to ignorant of people's privacy. I will forget that there are certain moments when a private meeting is being held that doesn't include me and in turn I would want people to stay out of my business because the information I have to share can be personal and not for everyone. In reality, it's like bit like a double standard. I want to know what other people are secretly sharing but at the same time I don't want everyone to know my business. There was one time when I had to stand up because privacy or not, I was not going to simply sit by and allow this situation to happen: it happened when Jaimee and I were still dating and we both were working at the same mall. One day, out of the blue, Jaimee's old boyfriend reared his ugly head and saw her at the mall for the first time in a couple of years. Of course, I was right there and I knew how much of an effect he had on her so I tried to keep myself in the conversation. But, his true persona came shining through like I was nothing to him or Jaimee so he told me to butt out. Jaimee insisted it’s okay, so I kept my distance until he was finished trying to show his machoness to MY future wife. She told me that she was invited to come over to his house to meet his parents again that night, alone. (Don't you think those alert bells went off like crazy!!!?) So there was no way in hell I was going to let that happen so I told her that I'd go with her. Jaimee at first was offended because she believed I couldn't trust her. But I stood my ground on this 'invitation' and Jaimee saw the potential danger in this decision...so, she didn't go. I realize that Jaimee wanted that private conversation with her old flame, but I knew that was going to be way too dangerous.

We did have a lot of issues in 2009 and one of our daughters, so privacy became a big problem for both Jaimee and I, but we're the parents and we did what we had to do to help our children. Even now with Christen and Sarah, we would be the same way, but those two are very different than our older two and so the issues haven't been as severe. None the less, their mom and I always want the best for our child...even if we have to give up some privacy.


Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song:  "Curiosity Killed The Cat"

Artist: Guardian

Album: Miracle Mile

                           I know this is a bit of an oldie, but it's still a goody!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Piece #75 - My Directing Method

Being a director like I have for several years, there are things that I've had to deal with in this business. This isn't the professional method of directing, but this is my perspective on how to be a director in any medium. I will probably address the proper method of how to treat actors, but that is not the sole focus on what I'm going to share. As a director you will have to deal with people who think they know it all and you can't say anything that will benefit me. The problem that most amateur actors forget is that acting is an art form, but it's also an occupation. I think people tend to forget that acting is work...hard work. One of the things that I try to let the kids know is that it's a very difficult business to get into. I feel like they need to hear the truth about the world of entertainment. I tell them that they have to 'want' it very badly and do almost anything to get in. An internship is a great way to get your foot in the door, bu

Piece #103 - I.Q.

I have, in some form or fashion, addressed this topic on intelligence, but I thought I'd hit this head on. One of the big things that people with Asperger's gets tied with is having a high intelligence. I have to admit that I've had a hard time finding solid evidence on all people with Asperger's having a high intelligence. I guess this a bit of a piggy back to my earlier posting #78 No Talent Required. The difference between these two is I'm going to address the intelligence in general versus the talents from Asperger's (or Savants).  When it comes to the topic of intelligence, I get a similar feeling like in high school when the class decides on 'the most successful' label. I say this because I've always questioned what is successful? In turn I would also ask in the same breath what is intelligent? Testing the intelligence of someone used to seem like either a brainiac, just an average person or an idiot...depending on the score which is reall

Piece #28 - Puzzles

I realize autism is symbolized by a puzzles piece and I've noticed that some people have taken some offense to that, but this doesn't deal directly with that topic. This is a straight observation on puzzles and how they affect me and the twins. With the new age of electronic devices, it has changed to way we do pretty much everything! In this case I want to focus on puzzles because there are lots of computer game companies that are betting on us to buy their own special puzzle game, whether it is on the iPad, iTouch or smart phone. I will say that I do own an iTouch and yes, I do love it! Unfortunately, I can get sucked into several good puzzle games. So far the top ones I love to play are Chuzzle, Bejeweled, Tiki Totems and of course...Angry Birds. To be honest, I also will go 'old school' and play Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and even Tetris because they still have a place in my heart. Sometimes the simpler games I would rather play because they are quick and easier