Skip to main content

Piece #108 - Unemployment

I had the experience of something I hadn't been a part of in nearly twenty years... unemployment. I learned something rather quickly about being unemployed is that this is more of a journey than a simple trip. Trying to make the move from the world of education to the vast universe of basically...everybody else can be rather frustrating and confusing. One of the first things I had to learn was the new jargon, for example: Lead - the person just above the regular worker but, just under the supervisor. In teaching, there is no such thing; I guess the best version I can come up with is either a coordinator or a vice-principal. Production performance - the means of how well of an output one creates within a certain time and/or quality ("quota" is another term used). In education, test scores sadly are used as a barometer for how well a teacher is performing but, there are checks and balances on how well the information is being delivered and received by the students. I really wasn't sure how I was going to fit in with the whole industrial process. I have heard that teachers have been successful in making the transition, but I'm not sure where I might fit in.

I have learned that hearing back from possible jobs can take a long time...a really long time. In education, teachers would normally apply in February and run all the way to August, but many personnel decisions are made rather quickly before the new school year starts. There have been cases where I've applied over the summer and received a new teaching job within a month or less. Right now, education is short on money all over the states and they are forced to cut as many corners a possible. When I first started, the one big thing I heard the most was they were looking for teachers with experience. Of course that was really frustrating considering how do you get experience if you can't begin somewhere? The irony is when I was trying to get a new teaching position now, however, I was too expensive...nearly 20 years, certified in Theater/Speech 7-12 and Social Studies 5-12 and now had too much experience. This whole teaching job just didn't seem fair. Here are the states I actually applied for teaching position with (Not Exaggerating...) Minnesota, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Idaho, Missouri (of course), Arkansas and I believe Texas: this wasn't one school per state, no, no, no - these were several schools across the states. I believe I had about 150 applications on file for the 2015-16 school year. NOT ONE JOB OFFER. PERIOD. In many ways it felt like a huge slap in my professional face! The reality was that I would have to look in a new direction for future employment, the world of teaching was over for me.

I thought since I was going to make the move into the cooperate circles I had to figure out where I might best fit in. I wanted to use my teaching experience and apply it to any perspective business so I decided to try the corporate training positions. When I first started the search, I thought this would be a shoe-in because what business wouldn't want a former teacher as a new trainer...made sense, or so I thought. I kept getting turned down time and time again; and I had no idea what I was doing wrong. I did figure out that businesses wanted people who already knew the system and could train people on how to be effective on the job. Since you know that I have Asperger's Syndrome I decided a really good idea was to contact my local Voc-Rehab center. If you're not sure what Vocational-Rehabilitation is, it's a federal/state funded place where they help people like myself...with a disability (could be mental or physical)...to either help gain a job and keep it, or go back to school to be educated for a new career. I also got in touch with several job staffing centers. Most people tend to label them as 'temp' agencies but, they do much more than simply trying to slot you into a temp job. Many agencies want to see you have a type of job you really have in mind - like being part time or full time. Most centers will give you general testing to see what skills you might have and what jobs might be best for you. In the long run, they really did try to help me, but I was not the typical kind of person they 'usually' see. I realized I needed to expand my search for any position I could do with the skills I already had - anything like management, sales, human relations, or other things an experienced teacher could do, I really had to think outside of the box. I honestly had a difficult time with the corporate arena as well because there were lots of people vying for the same jobs so the talent pool was rather broad. I believe I roughly had 100 'no thank you' letters, not including ones I still haven't heard from yet.

The two biggest enemies were depression and desperation. One of the best pieces of advice I gained through the whole job finding process was not to sound desperate. Being worried about trying to get a job can really turn off the hiring managers because a manager needs a person who is willing to work for them not because they have to but, because to want to. Pulling on the pant leg of a person will turn off anyone...just ask your significant other! You want to work for places that might seem really interesting and where you might gain some new skills and experiences. I've addressed depression in some form or another in this blog series. Nothing will drag you down more than the feeling of hopelessness. I wish I could give you a magic formula that would solve the depression problem but, lying to you would do any good. I'm a devout Christian and I've always looked to the Lord for help and comfort but, there are still times when that didn't always help. It's not that God didn't care, it's just that there are times when the Lord is working to help you but, it's not always going to be in YOUR time. I've learned (and still learning) that lesson the hard way! No matter what, you never give up. I always told myself that if I finished a job application that means there is another chance for me to get a job, but you must never stop! As I stated earlier, there are people out there whose job it is to help get you a job; you are never alone. You will need to suck it up and step out to meet with these people. Another great place to go is a job fair; it is worth the effort to go and meet the people face to face. Just make sure you pre-plan who you might want to meet at the fair and then dress really nice (professional) and have plenty of resumes in hand.

Unemployment sucks! The best part is there is something you can do about it, and like I said before just don't do it alone, get help! There are lots of people out there who want to see you succeed!

I did.





Song of Inspiration [Check it out on iTunes or Android!]:

Song: "Eye of the Storm"

Artist: Ryan Stevenson

Album: Fresh Start





It can be anyone of us!







Here is the official lyric video of the selected song. I have to give credit to my beautiful wife on this song!













Popular posts from this blog

Lost Piece #1 - The Gospel Truth

"I know my Jesus, I love Him, and I think if he needed me to believe that homosexuality was a sin, He would have mentioned it. He didn’t. When Jesus said that marriage was between a man and a woman, he was responding to a question about divorce, not sexuality.* And even the Gospels... well, even though they are gospel to me, I accept that they are also interpretations of what Jesus said and did and meant -we don’t have a single written word directly from Jesus. He could have left us something - he could have left another list of rights and wrongs when He came to Earth, but he chose not to." Glennon Doyle Melton - Aug 25, 2013
These words were penned by Ms. Glennon Doyle Melton who is an author and Christian blogger. Back in February of 2017 she announced that she was engaged to Abby Wambach a former Women's Soccer Champion. Glennon had been married to her husband (Craig Melton) for over 14 years before she divorced him due to his extramarital affairs.  Glennon had also o…

Broken Piece #1 - 13 Reasons Why

On March 31, 2017; the steaming service known as Netflix released a new mini series called "13 Reasons Why". This has quickly become one the most talked about series throughout the world. The story is based on the book by Jay Asher where the character Clay Jensen who had a high school crush on Hannah who ends up committing suicide. Suddenly two weeks after her death Clay receives a mysterious package on his porch which contains several cassette tapes of Hannah's recordings explaining the 13 reasons why she chose to end her life.
Within the last few days since the show was released it has created a lot of concern in the mental health, education and youth advocacy groups. Groups have demanded that the books be banned from the school libraries including Colorado, which has had seven teenangers ending their own lives: http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/colorado-school-district-pulls-suicide-book-thirteen-reasons-why-1.3415692 The show claims they had gotten experts to give the…

Piece #110 - My Complex Discernment of Concrete versus Abstract

I very rarely start off any of my blog entries with a picture but, this photo will illustrate a rather compelling discussion about my Asperger brain. I can't think of a better example of just how complicated a small part of concrete versus abstract is processed in my mind. I will do my best to sort out the complete meaning behind this picture. There will be several odd turns but, stick with me because this will actually make sense in the end...plus if my wife gets it then we're good!
Defining Terms:
Completeness - The state or condition of having all the necessary or appropriate parts. Uniform - Identical or consistent, as from example to example, place to place or moment to moment. Commonality - The state of sharing features or attributes.
The first area I want to address is uniform. Of course, I'm not talking about an outfit; I'm talking about consistency; the idea that flows smoothly from the top to the bottom. I guess a good example is like looking at a baseball card, a…